The Hornshoppe Forum
June 16, 2019, 11:34:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Great Heils are almost free!  (Read 1362 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »

Rico is selling the Great Heiis for 140 bucks each. ESS is not going away and they are not "all that's left".

For anyone owning The Horns, now is the time. I will tell everyone how to build the xover and anyone can do it!
Ed
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 04:25:31 PM »

Cool, I worried that less than half price meant impending doom.  I have a pair on the way and may go for many more to help my boys here at the Horn Shoppe.   Grin
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 03:44:40 PM »

I’m happy that Rico is doing well. I ordered a pair as well. The drivers arrived packaged like a fine watch or camera. (Or at least the way I think such things should be shipped.) The drivers were double boxed over the original package. Impressive.
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 09:24:29 AM »

The drivers arrived packaged like a fine watch or camera. (Or at least the way I think such things should be shipped.) The drivers were double boxed over the original package. Impressive.

That's good to hear, Steve. I just got notice that my AMTs should arrive in about five days. Meanwhile, I've been studying the crossover posts here, and reading Nelson Pass' Current Source Crossover Filters http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_cs_xvrs.pdf article, trying to determine what I need, and getting my questions together prior to calling Ed.

Everything seems straightforward, so most of my questions revolve around my main amp, the First Watt F1J. According to Nelson Pass, caps look like inductors, and inductors look like caps to his amp. The "tend to" from the Pass quote below has me wondering if the crossover will be as simple as reversing the 5µF cap and 1mH inductor.

I guess I'll find out soon enough when I talk to Ed.

"It [the F1] does not work well with ordinary passive crossover networks – the
components and their locations tend to be reversed.  It won’t break, but
probably won’t sound good.  If you have an electronic crossover, you’re in
better shape, at least until I can finish a white paper describing passive
crossovers for use with a current source."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: