The Hornshoppe Forum
December 13, 2018, 07:56:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The "T4" lives.  (Read 829 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: October 10, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »

Well, while the T2 experiment with the xformers was not a complete fail it was not a complete success either. The xformers did supply the gain but the sound was not as transparent as with out them.

That's all over now. The new ones are "Super Permalloy" and a different winding. All I can say is gain is no longer an issue and they are as transparent as w/o them in circuit. Keep in mind they are not just "stuck in front of the selector" Smiley.

Just like everything, else my approach to all this not exactly "what you might think".

The bad is...they add almost $1500 to the cost! They are very expensive but there is more to the cost than just them... a lot more. The T4 has 3 power supplies.

Now, if Max ( Irv) will just tell me where he got the xformers we'll be in business Smiley.

We'll see what Arthur has to say since I built this for him and Max supplied the xformers.  I already know the answer. Now, I just need to figure out how to get Max to "gift" me a set of the xformers! Smiley

There's sure to be more later. For now the use of xformers (like these at least) for getting gain has been better than anything else I have done...by a long shot. No one will send a T4 back.
Ed
***EDIT***  It should go without saying but I'll say it anyway..........every unit I have ever made can be "upgraded" to any level. If one does not need  gain the T4 is not needed! It simply allows The Truth to be used when the source output is low, whether it a phono pre amp or line level source. The object was to have the transparency of the standard circuit but with gain for those that need it due to low source output. I think I succeeded, I'm anxious to hear what Arthur thinks. There will be a review/report......for better or worse, it will be The truth! Smiley
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:57:21 PM by Ed Schilling » Logged
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 05:53:55 AM »

Congrats to your new 'break through'

Thankfully I do not need the extra gain and the original Truth is plenty good for me and better then anything I could otherwise afford.

On the other hand, look how much money people spend on an active PRE for extra gain (or not) and LESS performance. So your T should be a steal for those people. Just needs a fancy face-plate and some big knobs Grin Grin Grin
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 09:56:32 AM »

I'm a fan of big knobs.  Go Ed!
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:55:48 AM »

Thanks D. I agree no one should actually need it in a well matched system. But it's now here in spite of that!

Me too, Henry!
Ed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: