The Hornshoppe Forum
October 21, 2018, 10:22:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Bass in the pool!  (Read 289 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: July 23, 2018, 12:59:37 AM »

Some of you know we turned our pool into a pond 6 years ago. I went to the fish hatchery and bought baby bass and catfish. The experiment went well. The pool became a self sustaining pond. I NEVER fed the fish after the first 6 months. They quit eating the floating fish food. We never saw them or at least rarely. Had no idea how many if more than a couple were in there. I've learned a LOT about bass and fish in general! In the pond they do not ever swim...you will never see them. They swim to eat, otherwise it's just happenstance if you see one at night with a flashlight...they hide in the plants.

At the "party" this year I think it was Eric that was standing near it at dusk and saw one snag something out the air. We have never seen anything like that. And never a fish even close to a foot long. In 6 years I've only seen 2 side by side once. I have thrown all kinds of insects in there. The water is clear and they swim around and drown and float to the bottom. I just gave up feeding them.

The Monday after the party I bought some worms...Holy SHIT...we have BIG fish! It only took them until Friday to take worms from my hand! I had trouble in the video because I spooked them moving the plants. They now come to the side and wait to be fed. The damn things STILL will ONLY eat worms and whatever else they have been living on! Those were big "night crawlers by the way!

They can take a small red worm from my fingers with just a piece of him showing and I can not feel it. The water is clear enough to see it looking at me and for me to see it gently pull it from my fingers. Truly crazy! It's no longer a mystery how a fish can "steal bait"! They still will not eat crickets or grasshoppers but a worm barely hits the water before it is gone. They have been in the pond since they were 2 inches long. Go figure?

Hope y'all find this as amusing as I do.   https://youtu.be/_ieMHS7DMJw

Ed
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »

Ed, that's cool as hell.   Grin

Fish fry comin' up?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: