The Hornshoppe Forum
July 19, 2018, 06:28:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amp Camp Amp is back  (Read 501 times)
Henry

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2018, 05:10:00 AM »

You can preorder an ACA kit now.  It's in one chassis and has some upgraded parts such as better connectors and a 24v power supply.  Also, it's in one chassis.  With shipping, it's about $350.  If you are interested in a simple, inexpensive and great little amp for the Horns, jump on it before they sell out (again).  Wink
tooppy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:31:17 AM »

Hi,

I just finish mine which was just the previous model but I am going to recieve the latest power supply.

Here are some pictures :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1utVbPqxDHMXKY6PT8BqCqqwVMxdQ185s

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yYYa4R7qdtCgs4e1Bg4kMAQrRrUckhEf

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aOxoIzoPTFeMhpDtuOkfBdxhMcDWREA1

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1O4z_CMh3gqMrJdxSBRO9Kqdw-Yuw4lwJ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n6b_zCErLISzi9ffOpWVSOcwMT90fAcJ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yiwcPtRe57upNGq_5vjCSpFGC3YVxbjq

It is my first time soldering on PCB, so I am surprised nothing burn or smoke  Cool.
I first inverted Q4 with Q3  Roll Eyes  I managed to de-solder with a heating pump.
It works, I connected my phone with 2RCA/mini-jack cord, far from perfect, I have problem setting Bias precisely.
For the time being I leave it as it is, I will see that again when I got the new power supply as I will have to set it again.

The problem then is the source, I need an excellent pre-amp but I am not sure I am at the right place here, isn't it Ed ?  Grin Grin (Congratulations man , I am very very happy for you )
A good pre-amp that could run an as good DAC and could read DLNA through wifi, for my music which is on a Synology NAS.
And while we are at it, an RIIA circuit for my turntable and extra inputs.....all these of course stack into the exact same box than the Amp-Camp.

Voilà, voilà !

Michel
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 01:14:05 PM »

Nice Michel,
It appears you are on the way to happiness.  And, I preordered the single box version although I have monos in separate boxes.  I'm thinking of getting the diyaudio mono boxes and abandoning my homemade ones.  So, there may be a sale coming soon if I do that.

I hope you enjoy your ACA as I have.
tooppy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 06:15:10 AM »

Henry,

It is my first class A amp after 45 years of listening music, I have done mainly this amp for this reason, I wanted to know.
I switch on an leave it for 24H, not connected to anything.
Now I am listening from my phone through an Oppo HA-2 phone amplifier which play here as DAC and pre-amp.
Different from what I am used to but it is not a "revelation".
I need to work on the source and isten a lot more.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »

Michel, please do not take this wrong but there is no other way to say it............WTF did you expect? Your source is a damn phone! Smiley

Get a real source and line stage before you judge the amps on any level.

While you may have had good success in the past with your phone the fact that you have not had a "revelation" may be due to the fact the source sucks and the amps are not the limiting factor. Smiley

I know where you can get a world class line stage for a song. Smiley
Ed
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 08:15:14 PM »

Yes Michel, get something better than a phone before making a decision.  Invest in a good preamp and take the phone out of the loop.  If you are bent on streaming, get tidal hifi and a Topping d10.  The d10 streams from various sources and does well.  However; it needs more than a phone to be satisfying.

tooppy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 01:14:46 PM »

Ed,

I burst in laugh reading your post because I know that very well, you are of course 200% right, and I said it myself.
But you know....I have a fucken good phone  Grin Grin Grin Grin !!!!

I am listening now my CDs and librairy with an Onkyo C-N7050 but I need to connect it trough the Oppo HA-2, far still from ideal but already pleasing.

So for a world class line stage, I know one guy doing that  Grin Grin.....but I don't know if he can make it into the actual amp-camp kit chassis, with a bunch of cinch out and a good RIIA for my turntable,  I have to ask him  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

tooppy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »

Yes Michel, get something better than a phone before making a decision.  Invest in a good preamp and take the phone out of the loop.  If you are bent on streaming, get tidal hifi and a Topping d10.  The d10 streams from various sources and does well.  However; it needs more than a phone to be satisfying.

Thanks Henry, I am going to look after this equipment I never heard of.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 08:40:55 PM »

ACA kits (batch#2) are available for preorder for the next two days.  It seems they are still in very high demand.   Smiley
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 08:52:00 AM »

Henry, you beat me to it.
Guys now is the time to order if you’re on the fence. DIY Audio expects a significant price increase the next time around due to imposed tariffs.
steve
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 05:20:11 AM »

I'm doing two to make monoblocks, doubling the power can't be a bad thing.  Of course, the Horns can run plenty loud on one ACA.

Sometimes I just can't stop myself.  Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: