The Hornshoppe Forum
June 25, 2018, 10:14:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Phase issue  (Read 527 times)
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« on: March 23, 2018, 05:43:18 AM »

Hi Ed;

Hope this is OK to ask a Technical Question about a different Speaker Make.

Just bought some nice looking BRAUN (A/D/S) SM 1002 of flea-bay. Speakers had no binding posts, just some unmarked wires coming out the back.

I added some binding post and determined polarity via a small battery and watching which way the woofer moved. Also there is a red cross on one terminal of the woofer, so I am sure I got that polarity right with the woofer.

Did a Phase test with a Test CD and did not get any 'tightly focused' voice coming from the center when the signal was in phase. When the signal was out of phase it just sounded more diffused.

Took another look inside both speakers. I see 3 BLACK wires, one going to each driver, so I assume they are the NEGATIVE lead. Then each driver has a distinct color wire going to them. Can't see how the traces run on the x-over board.

When listening to music I can hear clearly how music is coming from the left and right speaker, but I don't hear too much coming from the center. Solo instrument sound somewhat diffused on the left and right side.

ANY SUGGESTION on how to proceed?

PS. Should mention that the bass driver have new surround foams, so my first thought was that the repair men wired the bass woofer incorrect, but then i ASSUME that the colored wire is the POSITIVE side.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 05:58:05 AM by Capt. Z » Logged
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 02:56:15 PM »

Have you tried switching absolute phase, meaning switching the + & - on both speaker cables...John 

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 06:59:22 PM »

Dieter, of course you can post anything here about anything.

Ok, the battery test will show if the woofers are in phase with each other and you can identify the "positive" wire. Now, that will tell you nothing about the midrange or tweeter polarity. For that you will have to look at the xover to see if they are wired the same. Keep in mind it is not uncommon for the tweeter or midrange or both to be wired opposite polarity to the woofers but the speakers should both be wired the same. You'll need to look at the xover to know for sure.

It also could be that "it is what it is" and they just are like that.
Ed
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 07:13:38 PM »

Dieter, of course you can post anything here about anything...

Hey Ed, I have a bad case of red ass and joined the NRA for another five years.  I'm not willing to have a fifth grade robot to tell me how to live.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: