The Hornshoppe Forum
September 23, 2018, 02:56:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doyle Bramhall II  (Read 754 times)
Henry

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »

I haven't seen Doyle 2.0 since 2001 when he opened for Eric Clapton.  His latest album is pretty good IMO, but skip the vinyl, it's a muddled mess.  I'll never understand how people screw up so badly on mastering an album, but think of what T-Bone Burnett did to the Leon/Elton record.  The CD or a Tidal stream is better.

Anyway, I get to see him in Charlotte on 2/16 and I got some good tickets for a reasonable price.  Looking forward to it.  The guy can really abuse an electric guitar and the venue has good sound.  Should be a good night...
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »

Well, sometimes you can't go home.  He showed periods of awe, but otherwise, it was pedestrian Texas influenced mediocrity.  The venue is good and can make nice sound, but not that night. His ear piercing vocals were brutal.  Or, maybe it just wasn't his night or mood.  Or a sound man that was deaf.
The band was tight and scaled down to two.  I left a bit early and felt that I should have gassed up the truck for the price I paid to be annoyed.

The bad thing is I saw what Charlotte NC has become (nothing new).  Blah... murder... blah... hipsters... arena acts for mortgage money.

World class.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:43:15 AM by Henry » Logged
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 09:40:24 PM »

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes well...

My last concert, a couple of months ago, was a collaboration between Ramsay Lewis and John Pizzarelli. A small venue, and a virtuoso performance. Got damn lucky.

Henry, I feel your pain about Charlotte. I was there last year, and it’s pretty much gentrified.

steve
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: