The Hornshoppe Forum
October 20, 2018, 01:54:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Schiit Audio DAC  (Read 1882 times)
Henry

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »

I got the small Schiit Modi 2 uber DAC to hook to an inexpensive, but pretty good Onkyo CDP (thanks to Randy for turning me on to that).  I haven't had a chance to play with it much, so the jury is still out.  I'll get a second opinion from "the boss" before declaring it to be better.  I have it hooked up with a relatively cheap coaxial cable from Emotiva.  They have a half price sale on cables.  The little I have experienced using the Modi is positive, it seems to be a little more relaxed sounding that the Onkyo built in dac.  

BTW, the Onkyo C-7030 is a nice player for $150, I have two in secondary systems with no complaints.  You can pick these up "used" on Amazon if you're careful.  The last one I bought was only $108 and supposedly an open box unit.  It was obvious the CDP was still factory sealed and perfect.  Smiley

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-C-7030-Compact-Player-Black/dp/B004UR487A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512965652&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+cd+c-7030

https://emotiva.com/ (cable sale)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:48:50 PM by Henry » Logged
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »

The little I have experienced using the Modi is positive, it seems to be a little more relaxed sounding that the Onkyo built in dac.
In such comparison, the levels need to be matched if objective result is desired.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »

You are correct Sonic.  I don't have a sound meter and Christmas is just around the corner.  I'd be proud to own your meter of choice.  Grin

But levels do matter, and I'm just being an ass regarding the Christmas present... but I wouldn't turn away a gift, unless it were from Ed or Steve.  Cheesy
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:04:00 PM »

I gave the Schiit dac away.  After a while, it became a little troublesome for my situation.  The highs became a bit harsh and the imaging, mostly depth became a little flat.  It isn't bad and may work well in other applications.  After a few cable purchases and swaps, it was something that didn't work for me. 

I have ordered a cheapo Topping D10 dac from Massdrop.  It seems to be good from the little I've read, but those guys are accustomed to laptop and phone audio.  If this isn't good for me, I'll have a drawing here for you guys to win a free dac.  Listen on...
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 07:57:10 AM »

DAC has been a matured technology for over 20 years.  Taking the approach that you do will continue to waste your money.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »

DAC has been a matured technology for over 20 years.  Taking the approach that you do will continue to waste your money.

Sorry, but I can't connect your dots.  Supposedly, these cheap dacs outperform the oldies.  Are you saying the Modi has outdated tehnology? 

And besides, I'm into vinyl and don't want to buy another high dollar dac.  My oldie beats up on the new stuff.  It's non-oversampling and has tubes.  It can't be good.

I'm just dipping my toes into the dac pond to see what's out there that's new.  I'm not wealthy, but at these prices, it doesn't matter to me.  I could be lured into higher dollar dacs, but I don't want to take that leap without being intrigued.
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 01:51:50 PM »

Sorry, but I can't connect your dots.  Supposedly, these cheap dacs outperform the oldies.  Are you saying the Modi has outdated tehnology? 
Nowadays even cheap DACs (built-in disc players & receivers) provide as good of sound performance as our ears can detect.  Spending more for improvement that's even further beyond what our ears can detect is waste of money.

And besides, I'm into vinyl and don't want to buy another high dollar dac.  My oldie beats up on the new stuff.  It's non-oversampling and has tubes.  It can't be good.

I'm just dipping my toes into the dac pond to see what's out there that's new.  I'm not wealthy, but at these prices, it doesn't matter to me.  I could be lured into higher dollar dacs, but I don't want to take that leap without being intrigued.
If you want to improve the sound quality of your system, whether it's vinyl, digital or both, improve the room acoustics. That's where the real gain is.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 02:11:33 PM »

Thanks sonic, that's something to consider.
GorK

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 06:20:35 AM »

Henry, Ed and I ran into this when we tried the original ODAC.  Some of the USB powered designs like the Modi are sensitive to voltage swings off the bus.  I bought a cheap tester and found that on my computer some of the ports had terrible power drops based on other devices running and that was impacting the sound quality.

It probably was your computer and not your DAC but these days, with the new chips designed to run off of IOS or Android, power shouldn't be a problem. The Modi is stuck in the past I understand.  Several Dacs allow for them to be powered by either USB or and external and several tests have shown that the performance on the "dirty" USB is usually better because it didn't introduce anything else and the chip was designed to run off dirty power anyway.

Amir just tested your Topping D10 today and says you picked a good one:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/

For what it's worth I've gone DACless Smiley  I've parked the ACA and The Truth for a bit and am playing with an SMSL AD18 full digital amp.  Wish I could make it to Hornfest to show it off but I'm still stuck in the snow.  Ed's speakers make any amplifier sound good Smiley

Henry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 07:42:57 AM »

Hi Gork, I remember the odac power issue.  But... the Modi 2 is powered by a wall wart provided by Schitt in my case.  I only used it with a cdp and a coaxial cable (well several different cables).

The topping is only a usb dac though, I've never had one.  I'll be streaming Tidal hifi.  Tidal works pretty great wirelessly with chromecast audio.

So, I'm still wondering about the Modi 2 and its performance.  Huh  Oddly enough, the Mani phono stage is very nice.
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 08:40:03 AM »

I've read many of his white paper and forum posts.  He is a professional shill.  He's spent years on R & D of selling expensive audio electronics via deception.  You don't want to follow him or your audio mind will be contaminated with bunch of snake oil sales pitch.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 09:30:48 AM »

I've read many of his white paper and forum posts.  He is a professional shill.  He's spent years on R & D of selling expensive audio electronics via deception.  You don't want to follow him or your audio mind will be contaminated with bunch of snake oil sales pitch.

So now he's a shill for a $75 (including shipping) dac.  I guess the mighty has fallen.  Come on sonic, it ain't all that.   Cheesy
GorK

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »

Sonic I gotten plenty of contamination provided from various audiophile sites, magazines, etc.  Hec the contamination that I've received in the "Pink Room" would be considered by medical professionals as irreversible. Smiley  Amir has an AP and tests a lot of equipment; I wish we had more of that.

Henry oh I see they now have an "uber" version on even their cheap DAC that is wall wart powered.  Go figure.  Not sure on that one then.
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 12:03:06 PM »

So now he's a shill for a $75 (including shipping) dac.  I guess the mighty has fallen.  Come on sonic, it ain't all that.   Cheesy
That's how he lures in the new "catch".  Remember, he is a pro and has all kinds of baits.
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »

Amir has an AP and tests a lot of equipment; I wish we had more of that.

Do you know who else has AP?  John Atkinson, the editor of Stereophile magazine, the advertisement outlet for high-end audio electronics.  Having such equipment isn't an issue but what they do with it is, especially Amir.  If you have read plenty of his blogs and online posts, you may have discovered a portion where he talks about the "problem" of jitter level being higher in cheaper DACs.  He goes on and on with some measurements and then he brings up a question, "yes, but... is it audible?"  Then he follows up with, "As unfair as it might be, I am going to punt that question."  If you (or anyone) can't smell a rat, you are bound to be tricked by shills like him.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: