The Hornshoppe Forum
March 20, 2018, 12:07:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shiit Audio Mani, Phono Pre Amp  (Read 656 times)
Ed Schilling

View Profile Email
« on: December 10, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »

Well, as many of you know I have the Transcendent Sound Phono Stage. It has PLENTY of gain for The Truth and sounds excellent. I reckon the only drawback for some is that it is pricey. How great would it be to have something that nipped at it's heels for 150 bucks? I know, I know, we've all tried inexpensive stuff like the battery powered Rat Shack and maybe even a NAD with an OPA 2604 chip upgrade.

Well, I can say that IMO the Shiit Mani nips at the heels of the TS and does in fact cost 150 bucks. It has adjustable gain and should run any cart except the very lowest output types to more than enough gain for The Truth. I have mine set at the mid point about 40 db I think.

For those of you who want a killer vinyl setup for "a song", The Orbit table and a Mani will slay a LOT of "high end" setups. Is it perfect? Nope, not even close. Is it immensely satisfying? Damn right...the combo just "sounds right". Bruce at Transcendent Sound has the Orbit ( my suggestion) and he did a couple things to it and he agrees with sounds too good to be that cheap. Coupled with the Mani one can have a very nice vinyl rig for peanuts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 05:35:09 PM »

I have a Schiit Mani as well and Ed's right.  The small box is excellent... it makes no sense. Huh  It's quiet, dynamic and makes great bass. 

With loading and gain options via little switches on the case bottom, you can match it with about any phono cartridge.  I'm keeping the TS phono stage and an old Cornet that has fancy parts since I have three turntables.

You'd have to spend lots of money to beat the little Schiit.  And it's fun to say "Schitt".  Grin
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 07:04:11 AM »

Ed & Henry, I just listened to a custom Orbit turntable in which the owner changed out the plinth for a "concrete resin" base. He also used a cheap ART phono stage. I've got to say I was impressed. Ortofon blue cartridge.
I don't know if the tone arm was damped, or any other changes were made. I also suspect that the Orbit's bearing isn't going to beat out fancy stuff like VPI. But damn, it was good.
Pages: [1]
Jump to: