The Hornshoppe Forum
January 16, 2018, 08:04:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Schiit Audio DAC  (Read 215 times)
Henry

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »

I got the small Schiit Modi 2 uber DAC to hook to an inexpensive, but pretty good Onkyo CDP (thanks to Randy for turning me on to that).  I haven't had a chance to play with it much, so the jury is still out.  I'll get a second opinion from "the boss" before declaring it to be better.  I have it hooked up with a relatively cheap coaxial cable from Emotiva.  They have a half price sale on cables.  The little I have experienced using the Modi is positive, it seems to be a little more relaxed sounding that the Onkyo built in dac.  

BTW, the Onkyo C-7030 is a nice player for $150, I have two in secondary systems with no complaints.  You can pick these up "used" on Amazon if you're careful.  The last one I bought was only $108 and supposedly an open box unit.  It was obvious the CDP was still factory sealed and perfect.  Smiley

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-C-7030-Compact-Player-Black/dp/B004UR487A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512965652&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+cd+c-7030

https://emotiva.com/ (cable sale)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:48:50 PM by Henry » Logged
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »

The little I have experienced using the Modi is positive, it seems to be a little more relaxed sounding that the Onkyo built in dac.
In such comparison, the levels need to be matched if objective result is desired.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »

You are correct Sonic.  I don't have a sound meter and Christmas is just around the corner.  I'd be proud to own your meter of choice.  Grin

But levels do matter, and I'm just being an ass regarding the Christmas present... but I wouldn't turn away a gift, unless it were from Ed or Steve.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: