The Hornshoppe Forum
April 26, 2018, 05:58:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: amp for the truth preamp  (Read 1747 times)
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 11:49:20 AM »

Link please! Smiley
Ed

Here you go: https://www.miveraaudio.com/

It isn't listed in his shop, so you just leave a message and he'll reply with the info.

Here's a link to the thread on ac regarding this version: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156447.40
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:53:40 AM by Henry » Logged
Martin1

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »

thanks to all for the suggestions...i have not decided yet..i am tying to repair the old integrated amp i had..i was told it was beyond repair,but now it is in a repair shop and they are trying it ...it is difficult though they say due to much wrongdoing from other repair shops they say..it is a gryphon callisto. But with that i lose the advantage of the truth....i have been trying the nad c350 and the quad 405...maybe the latter is better. not much difference though (always using the truth as a preamp..the pre of the nad c350 can be disabled..it has a power in). I used the quad 34 as a preamp...and the truth is better i think...so i wonder if the power amp quad 405 is also appropriate for the truth...i think it is quite ok and i am doing with that unless i see an amp it really seems better option..I also enquired about Romeyn amps..which i think use a module similar to the ICE power suggested by Henry...For lack of time i haven't dealt more into it. But it seemed a good option..anyone had an experience with a Romeyn amp? ANother option i considered is buying a set amp...one Ed suggested from aliexpress which is very very affordable (forgot th emodel, but i can find out)...or the coincident frankenstein (used) which is much more expensive but a good deal i think compared to new...but i never heard any of those, nor a set amp...and 8 amps maybe are not adequate for the 87-89db speakers i have (audio physic virgo mainly and thiel cs 2.3 as an option)...so i am mired in this situation unable to decide or just let it go and think that with the quad 405+truth i am well served enough..
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 12:46:34 PM »

Here's the updated web address for the Mivera amp: https://www.miveraaudio.com/product-page/takachi-case-icepower-1200as2-sale
Martin1

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 01:53:34 AM »

Hello Henry, I follow the link but it says product not found...I am also following the Romeyn amps..based in an HYpex module....do you know how they compare? ANd just in case you know: I read a SET amp is something special etc...ANd i am following an used Coincident Frankenstein MkII..it is only 8 watts though...do you have any experience in single ended SET and what is your opinion compared to the mivera? Thanky you, martin
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »

Hello Henry, I follow the link but it says product not found...I am also following the Romeyn amps..based in an HYpex module....do you know how they compare? ANd just in case you know: I read a SET amp is something special etc...ANd i am following an used Coincident Frankenstein MkII..it is only 8 watts though...do you have any experience in single ended SET and what is your opinion compared to the mivera? Thanky you, martin
Hey Martin, Yes it doesn't exist as he's making his own enclosures that are nicer and heavier now... and of course more expensive.  The insides are the same and you can see them if you click on the Icepower Shop tab at the top.  He has a standard and premium version.  I have the premium parts except for the binding posts.  I think the two are $1500 and $1800 respectively now.

Based on what I've read, I'd shy away from the hypex technology.

SETs are really nice and smooth with great midrange.  Nice with Horns.  They tend to lack bass resolution and slam, but they are delightful in many ways.  SETs sound natural and right imparting a non-fatiguing ease to music. I have a couple in the house and won't give them up.  I have two el-84 and one 300b . The 300b is a great tube IMO, but pricey.

Also, many here have Transcendent Sound OTLs that offer more solid state bass accuracy.  And don't discount the Amp Camp Amp.  diyAudio had them in stock for about two days, then sold out again.  They should be back soon and you can get on the notification list.  Easy to build and now in one chassis.  Great with Horns and well under $1000. You could buy a kit and chassis and pay someone to assemble it and still be well within budget. https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/kits/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218
If you decide the ACA is for you, grab a chassis (April 15) and then jump on the parts when they notify you.

I haven't heard the Coincident amps, but I've read good things about them.

I'm using the Mivera amp with big Bozaks and the Ultravalve with the Horns. 

As Ed says: "Choices are bad."  Smiley
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 10:07:39 PM »

Martin, I re-read your first post and checked into your speakers with the upper 80's efficiency rating.  I'd recommend either the Ultravalve or Mivera amp of the ones which I'm familiar.  I just don't think you'll find the ACA nor a low-powered SET adequate to push them as needed.

Best of luck, Henry
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:10:43 PM by Henry » Logged
tooppy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 12:19:54 PM »

Ed....congratulations, I am very very very happy for you !
You deserve it man !

Do you think you can built one Truth into the "new" Am-Camp actual casing ?
Here is the link :

https://www.modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/search&search=amp%20camp

The main site is here, you probably know it, they have knobs also :

http://www.hifi2000.it/default.asp?Langid=1

I bought a the amp-camp kit but the casing was from this link as I am a European, that is where the DYI forum advised me to buy.
Now I am left with doing soldering the thing......I don't know if I can manage.... I have to find a scrapped PCB to training  Sad Cry

The idea would be to have a set Truth + Amp_Camp into separate but identical casings.

Again.....Bravo my friend, these kind of review is rewarding and give real meanings to your work.

Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 12:25:34 AM »

Thanks Toopy. I really appreciate the kind words from you and everyone else as well. It's been an amazing ride for us. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that a humble little speaker could have led me here, it's crazy and it's all due to folks that took a chance on a crazy dude in SC.

We thank you from the bottom of our hearts and I'll do everything I can to not disappoint anyone.
Ed
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: