The Hornshoppe Forum
June 22, 2017, 10:15:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Damn ground squirrels  (Read 1158 times)
Steve F

View Profile Email
« on: March 11, 2017, 11:30:06 AM »

Okay, plain and simple. We have a nest of ground squirrels. Trap, poison or what? I really want to make it permanent. I don't want to be placing deterrents every week.  Congress won't fund a DMZ. Suggestions please.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »

Steve, just too easy. Get a high power pellet rifle with a muffler on the end........   http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=234   

Shoot the damn things from inside the house....you may have to remove some screens Smiley. No one will know and it will be safe and effective.
Ed
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 03:18:05 PM »

A buddy gave me a .22 Crosman air pistol. The grips are right handed, and I'm a southpaw.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »

Buy that Gammo and be done!
Ed
edit**** read the reviews and what folks are using it for Smiley
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:30:03 PM by Ed Schilling » Logged
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »

Or hire a chemical free pest controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLojgZq5HwU
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 03:29:35 PM »

Hey Sonic, if you ever go "to war" with a bunch of squirrels you will come to want to kill all of them. I hate the thought of killing anything but sometimes it's the only way. Squirrels are evil and when they fixate on something you'd best not hope it is your attic or the trim on your house!

My Grandmothers 3rd husband (she outlived the first 2) used to trap them and paint their tails red! They had several giant pecan trees. He would drive them about 15 miles away to the swamp and let them go.
Every now and again he would trap one with a painted red tail!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He thought they used the power lines like a "highway". To get from the swamp to their house meant going through the outskirts of the city!

The bastards are evil and it they set their sights on your property..............
Ed
edit.....  that's a bad ass air gun!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:32:11 PM by Ed Schilling » Logged
666MadeMeDoIt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »

I like the three tiered approach to getting rid of squirrels. Coyotes, snakes and an owl or two.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »

We have coyotes and golden eagles. Both have ignored the squirrels so far.

sonic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 09:16:58 AM »

He has some tips on how to get closer to those pests (11 min mark).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe8cae-fAfE
666MadeMeDoIt

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »

I had a place in Wisconsin for a while and a woodchuck decided to take up residence under my screened in porch. There are no kind words on the internet about woodchucks when they go where they are not wanted. Their burrow is huge. This one had several entrances, each very steep until about six feet under ground and about 10" in diameter.

If I blocked an entrance, he would dig two more. Tried to trap him but they catch on quick. Even if caught, they will return from 15 miles away. If you use a trap with a woodchuck the bottom needs to be camouflaged or they won't enter.

It was always interesting to see him but he was undermining the support to my house. Left things for two years before I decided to evict him. (damage to property and non-payment of rent ha-ha)

I finally drove my riding mower near the entrance to his burrow and hooked one end of metal dryer duct to the exhaust and the other end down the hole.

I hated to do that but it did save the house.

Not sure if this is an option for you. I live in Chicago and the squirrels live in trees where they belong. 

Eric
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »

I finally drove my riding mower near the entrance to his burrow and hooked one end of metal dryer duct to the exhaust and the other end down the hole.
Did it work?

I live in Chicago and the squirrels live in trees where they belong.
Tree squirrel and ground squirrel are two different species.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »

I've read that ground squirrels are very difficult to poison.

There are all kinds of traps. Some will even electrocute squirrels!! One approach uses a specialized expanding material, which traps and drowns them. Gassing or sniping are effective too. Small terriers are supposed to be good, but every now and then our local eagles grab small dogs. I'm leaning towards the .177 "Ed method".

When I lived in Chicago, the tree squirrels were eating my treated lumber porch. One even attacked a buddy doing some repairs. No doubt about it, a war with a bunch of squirrels is a real war.
666MadeMeDoIt

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »

Yes, the CO from the exhaust worked. Never saw him again. I would like to think it was a somewhat humane way to go.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »

My squirrels have gone into hiding. No activity for two days. Tomorrow I'm going to flood their home and see if any pop out. It's probably too much to ask that the eagles found them.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 06:13:53 PM »

Well, I could not stand it............I got one (or two) of these........   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5TSLZT/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's awesome and quiet. It is quiet enough that it tricks you into thinking it may not be "powerful"......oh, but it is....it goes through both sides of a steel coffee can at 25 yards. It punches through a full beer easily at 25 yards. The phone book was no match.............we need a new one now. I have not mounted the scope and may never do it. The open sights are great and I doubt I'll ever shoot at anything farther than 25 yards....I may change my mind later.
Ed
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:27:26 PM by Ed Schilling » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: