The Hornshoppe Forum
June 29, 2017, 05:29:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: we lost a family member today  (Read 670 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:58:14 PM »

Our beloved "Bonnie", a Blue Front Amazon, died suddenly today. She was about 23 years old. We loved her dearly. We rescued her from a bad situation.

It's been a very, very sad day.
Ed
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »

Really sorry for your loss Ed-and i mean that sincerly-i love animals much more than humans-they only ask for your love and nothing more-i'm not going to attack you anymore....Mike
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »

Thanks Mike. We loved her dearly. Helen is extremely upset. I'm not concerned about anything else.
Ed
derockster

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 07:22:38 PM »

Hey ED,

So sorry to hear of your loss!!

Cleaton
tony

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »

Dear Ed and Helen, I am so sorry. I know you thought she would outlive ya'll, right? Anyway, thanks to you and Helen for all the critters you have taken in and loved. We have 7 cats and they are all family, so we fully understand that you lost a "family member". Prayers sent, see you at HF.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 06:54:33 AM »

Ed, I know it's a hard time for you and Helen.  I'm very sorry.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 09:47:14 AM »

Thanks, Cleaton, Tony, Henry. Yes it really sucks not hearing her sing and babble. She should have lived another 30-50 years. It's odd but I'd gone to the store and on the way home I had a "feeling" something was wrong. When I got back I saw she was not on her perch and I knew she was gone.
Thanks guys for taking the time to post. Helen, Sid. and I appreciate it
Ed
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 10:18:26 PM »

Hey guys, I wrote this for a friend but I figured I put it here too......Bonnie was special.

Bonnie was our Blue Front Amazon Parrot. A BF has about the same life span as a human, 60-80 years. They age at about the same rate reaching maturity at about 21 years. They are second only to an African Grey in the ability to talk, notice I did not say "imitate". They need to be started very young to build a large vocabulary but what they do learn they can use quite well. It is claimed by the time they are mature they have the intelligence of a 2 year old human. Bonnie was never taught to speak very much in the critical 1-5 years and we got her as a "rescue" from a bad situation when she was about 10 about 13 years ago. That said....what she did say when she said it could be spooky. You might walk in the room and if she wanted out she'd say "hello buddy" in perfect english. She'd do the first or last part of the "wolf whistle". If she decided to make the call she would do it until you did the second part. If you did the first part even in another room she would answer with the second part. She sang to music and liked country and pop. She babbled sometimes and we knew she was talking or imitating but if she caught you looking she would stop and cackle. She liked to unscrew the clasps that held her toys to the top of her cage. She like to unscrew the bolt holding the food bowl and would laugh like a kid when it hit the floor.

When we lose a loved one We remember the image and their voice..... when we lose a pet we do not have that...dog, cat, gerbil, snake, whatever, we usually don't remember any sounds they made all the time. Not so with a Parrot like Bonnie....we remember her voice   as well her image. We not only miss her being our pet we miss the loss of her voice talking and singing to us. I think it makes it harder. They are more like a "person" than most all other pets because of this. Most birds have songs they sing but they don't actually talk at or to you. When Bonnie said "helllloooow" you needed to answer her. She used "hello" and " hello buddy" differently and each one was a request or a greeting depending on whether she wanted out or was just acknowledging you. She would change the inflection depending.....she could do "hello buddy" in a way there was no doubt she wanted something.

We miss her dearly. We also used to worry about what would happen to her when we died or could no longer take care of her. She was supposed to out live us by decades.

Anyway, that was Bonnie.
Ed
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 01:37:17 AM »

Bonnie was blessed to live with you and your family Ed. Take heart with that. Generally we outlive our pets and are outlived by our children. Most parents expect their children to outlive them which is the compounded grief when they lose a child. Grief for losing one so beloved. Compounded grief for losing one so beloved when the expectation is that they weren't expecting to have to lose them. It is natural that you feel crushed by this occurrence.

Your succinct elucidation of the further reasons for missing Bonnie is an insight into living with one of the most remarkable types of animal that can share one's home environment. Please take heart that you and your family clearly loved Bonnie. Also take heart that with her obvious intelligence, she was in no doubt that she was loved. No-one in any situation in Life can ask for more than to be loved by those closest to them. You and your family gave Bonnie the greatest gift that any individual can give any other individual. Bonnie was blessed.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:04:03 AM by theophile » Logged

Turntable - Yamaha GT 2000
Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice (ebony).
Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Studio Monitors
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 01:49:27 AM »

Theophile, thank you so much for the kind words. They made me cry again. She was more like our child than a pet. Unlike the dogs and cats we so dearly loved as well....they were beloved pets. Bonnie seemed like a kid. She was shy around strangers. She should have outlived us both. We are just devastated right now. Sidney was home for the weekend and was here when I found her. I'm happy Sid. got to see her just before she was gone. It will pass.  I hope everyone understands I needed to talk about her...................
Ed
Tablet Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »

Sorry about your loss Ed, I know what your going through buddy it's so hard  Cry
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 01:57:14 PM »

Thanks buddy.

I forgot to mention another thing about Bonnie. She gave "kisses" but only 3. If you held her to you cheek and said "give me a kiss" she would gently bite your ear, very gently even though she could take a very big piece. She would do this 2 more times. A 4th attempt and she would turn her head almost upside down and look at you like "I've had enough". Later on you could get 3 more. Never 4 in a row.

Ed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: