The Hornshoppe Forum
June 29, 2017, 05:30:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey guys! Where the HECK have I been?  (Read 259 times)
MannyE

View Profile Email
« on: February 26, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »

Life put the audio hobby on the back burner for a while, but things are good once again!  The horns are back in rotation.  I have recently gotten the "vintage" bug and I'm waiting for a "brand new" Yamaha CR-2020 to arrive.  Tomorrow I'm picking up a pair of Yamaha NS-690 ii speakers and the guy is throwing in a second pair of Infinity RSB speakers with stands!  I'm also trying out two Mini-T amps with the horns and the "new" Sony PS-X5 I picked up on CL for $150...  good value for the money.  Gives my $500 MMF-5 turntable a run and it's fully automatic. 

I think my horns are almost old enough to be called "vintage" by this point!  I sure do wish I never sold the Bottlehead Paramours and Foreplay that made the horns sing so nicely.  I find that a lot of SS amps including an Aleph (don't ask me which iteration it was) don't really pair well with the horns, but those SET flea amps...  boy oh boy.  I'm hoping the mini-t amps I got from Orb Audio (one of the first ones and a newer, slicker model) will surprise me.  I'll post the impressions when it happens as well as some pics.  And once it arrives, the Yammy will be interesting to hear with them. 

It's also soon time to get the cabinets re-veneered with something exotic like tiger-stripe ebony or something similar.  I have a friend with a few sheets of beautiful walnut burl that if I can pry from his grasp would look ridiculously good on the horns.  Let's see what happens!

At any rate, good to be back and I hope everyone at "Team Hornshoppe" is doing well. 
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 10:06:35 PM »

Welcome back Manny, I like the old stuff as well.  It's always nice to see new life in older equipment.   Smiley

BTW, those Horns age well.  Living legends.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: