The Hornshoppe Forum
November 22, 2017, 04:01:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2300 times)
Tablet Man

View Profile Email
« on: February 19, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »

Hi guy's
New forum member here from the UK.

First of all big thanks to Ed for helping me sign up to the forum, it was really doing my head in!! but got there in the end.

Now I'm very very close to ordering one of these beaut's from Ed but what if I start having issues with it? How the hell do I get someone in uk to have a look and fix it for me? (as I reckon no one has ever seen anything like it)

Any help appreciated

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:38:34 AM by Tablet Man » Logged
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »

Hey Neil, it is not going to break. The warranty is 1010 years. For what it cost  and the performance,  in the event something happened the shipping back to me would be negligible and I'll just "fix it". They don't break!
Keep in mind, I built the first one 6 1/2 years ago and I've used some of the circuit for more than 20 years now! 2 of the buffers in Mac's unit have been running for about 20 years now! I'ts not a new design that has no history. It is time tested!
Ed
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 02:07:27 PM »

Tablet Man,

Welcome to the forum.

You want one. I started out with "The Naked Truth" which is the junior version of the Truth. Ed recently updated, and well damned near remanufactured mine. He added a second input so I could run digital or vinyl without disconnecting anything.

My speakers are ESLs and any changes are immediately noticeable. I've had people compare it to some really expensive gear, and a couple of guys have shaken their heads and said it's not possible to be better than their stuff. But oh yeah, it is. Buy one with confidence.

Steve
Tablet Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 02:30:22 PM »

Thanks for the welcome and putting my mind at ease
That's it, tomorrow I'm ordering  Wink
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »

If you listen to digital only-no prob.-but with vinyl there could be a lack of gain-unless you have a phono stage with 60 db of gain.It didn't work in my system due to lack of gain with lps.Most people have no need for more gain so it is worth a try.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »

The amount of gain needed from a phono stage is directly related to the output of the cart. A cart. that puts out 1-3 mv will certainly need 50 db min. One that puts out 5mv or so will not. My Transcendent Sound at 50db has much more than enough for my 4mv AT cart.
Ed
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 06:21:17 AM »

I use a .3 cart so was a no go-i will say Ed refunded money very fast-Ed is a trustworthy hillbilly 4 sure!!!!!!
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:25:36 AM »

I have a Manley Chinook phono stage now with 60 db of gain and Truth would most certainly work great with that and my low output cart!!!!!
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 08:13:15 AM »

Thanks coolhand........in 6 1/2 years and a LOT of them (actual number is classified but it's a significant number) I can only recall refunding 2 fellows money. May be 3 but I think it is only 2. That number is insignificant. I'm pleased with the numbers....both of them! It is impossible that returns could be zero ......no way could it be perfect for every system. There is no way it will work with a very low output cart. and a low gain phono stage, for example. I'm just thrilled the number is so low.
Ed
Tablet Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I'm still on the lookout for a phonostage, so I need one with 50/60 db output.
Anything else I should be looking out for?

Neil
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:10:57 AM »

TM, 37 is low unless the cart. has very high output. 50db would be better for everything. If I read that right could you not use the MC input with the 47K default and have 67db of gain?

Hopefully someone here knows more about this than me!
Ed
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »

Here is a very good one......it works GREAT with my AT 440MLA.
http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent_Sound_Phono_Preamp.html
Ed
Tablet Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »

I was thinking about running through the MC input but not sure if it would work.
That Transcendent is tempting though
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 01:01:16 PM »

TM, contact the manufacturer! Just axe them and give them the specs. of your cart. The TS is really, really good. It is the last one I'll ever own.
Ed
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 01:26:01 PM »

If you want to run a MC cartridge, I strongly recommend a step up transformer over the tropical MC setting on phono sections. They just sound better.

I'll vote for the Transcendent phono pre too. It has,well looking for descriptive words, a roundness to the tones that most phono sections lack. There is a natural depth that most others omit.

I'm currently using a Jico Shure V 15 cartridge on an old Revox linear tracking table along with the Transcendent and of course the Truth. It's really good.
The beauty of the Truth is that it buffers so well that sources match up extremely well to your power amp.

Steve
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: