The Hornshoppe Forum
October 22, 2017, 09:09:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Found it!!!  (Read 709 times)
TerryG

View Profile Email
« on: February 17, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »

I found it I found the Hornshoppe Forum!!!

Is Ed Schilling still alive?Huh   Dang!!! that guy gotta be older than dirt by now.

Anyway so what is the hot topic these days on this forum.  I would start a flame war with Ed but I agree with him on almost everything, so there isn't any topic to argue.  An yeah he is right I am stupid, can't argue that either.  At least I am not ugly.

Terry Gesualdo

Any comment filled with egotism, is nothing short of dishonest.

A sincere person doesn't have to prove, he wants to convince to help another.

Commitment is the daily triumph of integrity of over skepticism.
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 11:55:38 AM »

I would start a flame war with Ed but I agree with him on almost everything, so there isn't any topic to argue.

Sure there is.  Almost everything means not everything, so there it is. 
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:11:44 PM »

I found it I found the Hornshoppe Forum!!!

Is Ed Schilling still alive?Huh   Dang!!! that guy gotta be older than dirt by now.

Terry Gesualdo

He's two months older than me, so I guess that makes me dirt.   Grin

BTW, my Clapper needs new batteries.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »

Well, Terry, I built the best line stage on the planet.............  http://www.high-endaudio.com/RECENT.html#March

Nothing even comes close in terms of "specs." Ditto for the sound. It is the best. Crushing everything in it's path. Tubes are dead to me now Smiley Well, except for my Transcendent Sound Phono Stage
Ed
ps....glad to see you are still alive.
TerryG

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 12:19:59 AM »

Ed Baby!?!?!?!?!?

Well I wish I could get away from tubes, they wear out, they are larger than SS, they get hot, they don't always connect in their sockets well, and are expensive.  But I still haven't heard anything that sounds better, not yet.  I know the truth line stage sound nice, I know because I have built units like it.  but you put an opto-coupler volume control on a tube pre, or a photo transistor based unit and it adds to the already nice effects of the tubes.  BTW I haven't seen anything in electronics beat the slew rate of tubes, NOTHING.  But of course I don't do anything because of specifications, they are merely a guide for me knowing if something will work or not, or come close.

Bottom line and no one says this out-loud, we like tubes and light controlled volume controls because of their distortion.  Nelson Pass proved this in some ways.  BTW Nelson told me in November when I saw him something that was like the phrase, "I could have had a V8!!"  I had never thought before of the phase of distortion, how in the world did I miss that.  In or 180 degrees out of phase with the signal that is.  I am always the last to know.

Anyway here hoping tubes will be dead to me soon.  Here hoping speakers will be dead to me too, as I contemplation going with strictly headphones.

Almost everything,
Terry.

P.S. Still trying to find something to disagree on.  I really thought he would make a case for dirt being much older.  Who knew he really is as nearly as old as dirt.   

P.S.S.  One thing I love about electronics and especially audio electronics is the trickery you can perform to

Any comment filled with egotism, is nothing short of dishonest.

A sincere person doesn't have to prove, he wants to convince to help another.

Commitment is the daily triumph of integrity of over skepticism.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 07:39:18 AM »

Terry, sorry but my scheme is unlike anything else and the distortion is below what you can measure. The distortion of all types is orders of magnitude less than a tube based system. Just the way it is!  It makes the best sound broken. I realize it is hard to believe!
Ed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: