The Hornshoppe Forum
August 20, 2017, 03:51:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crown XLS 1002  (Read 731 times)
derockster

View Profile Email
« on: January 30, 2017, 05:22:16 PM »

Hi,

Anyone using a crown XLS amp to play their Horns?
Any comments on the sound?
To use or not to use, not that is the question?

Regards

Derockster
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »

I think it's all relative.  If you're thinking of using it for a sub amp later, it will pass.  I don't like it as well as the ACA or a good tube amp with the horns, but it could be a good stop-gap and really fine when making bass later.  I think it does pretty well with the mains.

PS, go up the line a bit... better specs.  Smiley
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »

After painting, I hoked up the plain Horns to the 1500, internet radio. It was pretty tolerable, better than what a lot of folks listen to...John   

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 10:59:22 PM »

Hi,

Anyone using a crown XLS amp to play their Horns?
Any comments on the sound?
To use or not to use, not that is the question?

Regards

Derockster

Another path if you are looking for an affordable horn amp is to do this:
https://www.amazon.com/Gemtune-APPJ-PA1501A-amplifier-Silver/dp/B00X5ECPXS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I've had one for a 1.5 years and it is pretty good.  It is cheap and good.  I love the Crowns as well for their flexibility. 

luvdemhorns

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:22:55 PM »

I've used the XLS-1500 with both the Horns and Klipsch (Forte I)   Bought it originally ($199 closeout from Guitar Center) on Ed's recommendation for use with the subwoofer and, out of curiosity, tried it as a main amplifier.  Shockingly good.  Not as good as some....but better than a lot (tube or solid state.) I run my Jolida tube-output CDP directly into the unit, and dont need any more than 10 o' clock gain.  I've found:
1. The amp sounds much better after a signal has been running through it for at least an hour (whether or not the amp as been left on). I dont know if there is an electrical reason for this, but it just does to my ears;
2. The binding post set-up obscures a lot of detail....I use the Speakon connection, which to me are night and day in both clarity and smoothness
3. The amp has so much control it imparts an overall ease to the sound, without rolloff on either end of the freq, or restricting dynamics;
4. Despite it's high power and digital nature, it sounds better to me with a simple, unshielded, solid-core power cable. Perhaps it's because I plug everything into an isolation transformer

Is it a purist amp...No. But you can spend several thousand dollars more (tube or solid state) and do worse. I'm seriously thinking about trying it with the Truth...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:47:17 PM by luvdemhorns » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: