The Hornshoppe Forum
June 27, 2017, 05:18:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Watt F7 Amplifier - anybody heard one?  (Read 907 times)
RandyCantrell

Everything is hard until it's easy

View Profile WWW
« on: November 21, 2016, 03:55:27 PM »

Saw this review today and made me wonder if anybody has heard them with the Horns: https://www.cnet.com/news/first-watt-f7-very-special-amplifier-dazzled-the-audiophiliac/

Once proud owner of Ed's Horns, First Watt F1, First Watt Aleph J, Ed's CigarBox custom made preamp, Sony Modwright DVD/SACD player with tube output. One of these days, I'll get back in the game! Ed's Horns will be the first to return.
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 07:29:01 AM »

Unfortunately for me, no, but I would love to.

I've described here (and on other forums) how many amps Ed played for me the first time I drove down to meet him and audition his Horns. One of them was his First Watt F1, and to me it was the best of the bunch. I ordered my Horns that day, and immediately began my quest to find an F1.

All these years later, and I still use the F1 (now upgraded by Mr. Pass to F1J) to drive my horns. I have several tube amps, and enjoy cycling them into the system from time to time, but always return to the First Watt as my amp of choice. I still feel a bit Stepford Wife'ish using a solid state amp instead of tubes, but there's no denying the music.

I'd love to hear some of the other Pass and First Watt offerings, including the F7 you linked to. Thanks for that, it was an interesting read.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: