The Hornshoppe Forum
June 29, 2017, 05:23:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reloading .22 LR !!!!  (Read 1178 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: November 18, 2016, 10:53:42 PM »

Yes, it is possible! Even though it is a rim fire it can be reloaded! I have cast bullets, reprimed the rimfire case and reloaded .22LR just to see if it could be done....and it can, easily. Who would have thought ?
Ed
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:02:36 PM by Ed Schilling » Logged
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 07:02:20 AM »

I'm a bit surprised by this, Ed, only because I was under the impression that the primer "patty" would be difficult to home-brew.

I may have to have you assemble a few dummy .22 rounds to sell to me.  I've been shooting a lot of .22 lately, more than in many years, and I'm loving it. I'm using a Marlin Model 99C (think of an 18 round Model 60 with a much prettier stock) which my older brother gave me as a Christmas present back in 1972 or so. It doesn't have the "last shot bolt hold-open" feature of the newer Marlin semi, so the last shot is always a dry-fire. Parts for this model are difficult (if not impossible) to find, so I'd like to avoid that dry-fire.

I've tried using the ribbed (for her pleasure) yellow drywall anchor (also known as a poor man's snap cap) in place of the last round, but they're too light to cycle properly. I've tried a dab of hot glue in the hole meant for the screw, and that helped, but not enough for them to be consistent. I don't even need them to chamber, a failure to feed would be welcomed. But the wall anchors often get hung up in the inner magazine tube, which results in the cringe producing "click" of the firing pin hitting an empty chamber.

Some Schilling Special "reloads" should cure that issue, especially if they could be filled with something heavy enough to cause them to cycle. It's something for you to think about, since you're the master of clever ideas.

Thanks!

Edit: I realized after I posted this that the drywall anchor hanging up inside the magazine tube constitutes a "failure to feed". What I really meant was I'd like for it to jamb the bolt open on its way to the chamber (which it does, but only sometimes),  to avoid the dry fire.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:25:28 AM by Luddite » Logged
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 04:20:37 PM »

Tod, shoot me your address via email and I'll make you some inert rounds. Just put one in last and it will chamber but not fire and it will protect the firing pin.

The reloads work! They are right in line with std. .22 with regard to power but the accuracy is not there....yet.

This was just an experiment ....not practical BUT with what I have Sidney's grand kids will have a revolver and the ability to make ammunition from scratch.....lethal ammunition and a stainless steel mini revolver and the stuff to produce ammunition from scratch and it all will fit in a small cigar box seems like a good thing and it all will work 50 years from now. I bought the chemicals to make primer compound....4000 rounds worth. It is 4 chemicals that are completely stable and will be just as they are now 100 years from now and when combined the primer compound will be as good as if I mixed it today. The experiment was a total success!
Ed
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 08:32:03 AM »

shoot me your address via email and I'll make you some inert rounds. 
Ed

You have mail, Ed, and thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: