The Hornshoppe Forum
August 19, 2017, 02:05:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Very expensive Truth..........  (Read 6126 times)
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 12:17:14 PM »

Hey Luddite, holster the gun, put the bike away. At least for a day. Get the soldering iron hot. Open up your Truth and install the new regulators. Listen for awhile and report back to us.

Then go right back to riding and shooting. Fun is fun.

steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 03:36:43 AM »

Hey Ed, I used an earlier version of this power supply and it seems really good.  It has held up continuously for six years.  Additionally, you'll need to buy the 50va toroid for $27.  And it has to be assembled.  Tongue  But, it works.

http://twistedpearaudio.com/power/placidbp.aspx

Regarding gain with phono stages for us "normal" guys, I'd just get a Transcendent Sound phono stage.  It's great.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:42:53 AM by Henry » Logged
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 07:25:38 AM »

Hey Luddite, holster the gun, put the bike away. At least for a day. Get the soldering iron hot. Open up your Truth and install the new regulators. Listen for awhile and report back to us.

Then go right back to riding and shooting. Fun is fun.

steve

I have no good excuse, Steve, only the lame ones I just gave. I didn't want to give the impression I was constantly on the road, barely stopping for gas, my six-shooter blasting in the air like a drunken cowboy.

The real reason, to be honest, is that I lost interest in audio. Now that it's getting colder, I'm starting to think hi-fi again, so the Truth will, once again take a front seat.

Removing the old regulators and soldering in the new ones is a fairly easy task. But, since I'd have to disassemble the power supply anyway, I'd go ahead and do some of the mods Carlsor recommended  http://thehornshoppeforum.com/index.php?topic=162.0, or something similar,  like Schottky diodes, better caps, etc. It makes it easier than tearing it apart twice, but it's also less "scientific" by making more than one change at a time. The whole experiment is less than scientific anyway, unless I took Ed up on his offer to borrow his o'scope, which he made at least five years ago. Otherwise, the entire experiment is subjective, and that's not something most guys on this forum seem to cotton to (whatever that means).

Here's a link to my take on the Belleson regulator, if anyone's interested.  http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=vinyl&n=1040730&highlight=1973shovel&r=&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fauthor%3DAJZepp%26user_id%3D29842%26forum%3DALL%26sortRank%3DNone

Full disclaimer: I did have a cup of coffee with the guy who designed and builds the SuperPower regulators. The only reasons I "promote" his product is that it worked for me, and secondarily, because it's made here in SC. I do the same for Ed's products, because I like them, not because I've been to some HornFests. That disclaimer is for the forum "guests", 'cause many of the members already knew that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:33:50 AM by Luddite » Logged
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 03:01:24 PM »

I'm guilty of putting off projects too.

Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 01:29:45 AM »

I have a box of Pass F5 parts that have been "resting" for the past two years.  Proper aging of parts will make them sound better.  Grin
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 12:03:59 PM »

For me it's rebuilding a pair of Quad 989s. I'm not looking forward to that one.
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2016, 06:44:08 AM »

We could start a new post in General, and have a contest to see who has the most.

Nah, just kidding. I don't know if my ego could handle the shame of me winning.
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2016, 06:50:51 AM »

I have a box of Pass F5 parts that have been "resting" for the past two years.  Proper aging of parts will make them sound better.  Grin

Henry, if I had the money I'd hire you as my press agent. "Proper aging of parts will make them sound better." What a great, positive spin to put on my, "I don't know why I buy all this shit if I'm not going to use it" statement.

I will give myself some credit in that I have managed to put a dent in the pile during the last year, but more in regards to guns and motorcycles than hi-fi.
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »

Great, so my Truth is now "outdated"?! Grin
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 11:41:29 AM »

Wait and see what Arthur has to say.

Turntable - Yamaha GT 2000
Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice (ebony).
Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Studio Monitors
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 01:38:44 PM »

I wanna see some pictures of the VETruth.
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »

The Truth is so good, that it is more than likely that our Source components are unable to reveal the limitations of it. Even if you think that your Source component is beyond reproach, it probably cannot approximately approach the ability of The Truth.

I have a superb analogue Source(meaning here: turntable/arm/cartridge and phono stage). Commensurate with that I have been experimenting with a highly complex diy turntable isolation platform, which has managed to hugely boost the capability of my Source components as outlined above. The isolation platform is an on-going project. The other night I stumbled upon a step-forward which(and this is the only applicable word) dramatically advanced the results I was getting. Dynamics now were shockingly evident. My speakers have limited bass(-3dB at 45Hz) however the kick drums on the Classic Records 200gm Quiex pressing of Led Zepplin's II, were astonishing. This is a recording I have listened to many,many times(love it). I've never, ever heard it like this. Just unfettered dynamics. Not just the kick drums either. Everything.

Go back and re-read Arthur Salvatore's assessment of The Truth:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Linestages.html

This probably no make that undoubtedly is the most thorough, pointed, able assessment of what Ed has created. Arthur has a superb ear and most importantly a superb system. Possibly no other Truth user has heard The Truth display its talents to the extent that Arthur has. The Truth not only demands the best possible Source components, The Truth defines and discriminates and exposes the best Source components. Manufacturers of Source components all need to have The Truth in their system because no-one can be certain of what their Source component is capable of, without The Truth.

The Truth is way far from being outdated. If anything, it will usher in a new understanding of recorded sound/recorded sound replay.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 02:19:20 AM by theophile » Logged

Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 04:13:53 PM »

Yes, you're screwed.  Save the pennies for Truth 2.0 and hang with the cool kids.  Cheesy

Sarcasm and tourettes have crippled me many times.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2016, 11:41:30 PM »

Theophile, thank you so much for the kind words. And for taking a chance  and trusting  a guy from S.C. with no real "history".  That goes for all of you who have become our friends and supported Helen, Sidney and I.

Don't worry guys......the "upgraded" version will simply have gain for phono stages that need it. The idea is to have that gain not hurt the signal.....nothing more or less. I have not had a chance to even think about the xformers yet. Hopefully it will be soon when I get a spare minute.

Thank you all again for all the support for all these years. With a little luck we'll all be around for many more!
Ed
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2016, 12:16:04 AM »

Thank you Ed for having the courage to back your intuition, which told you to try a different approach to everyone else. I'm just one of those guys who likes to investigate the different approach. Your approach contained two key elements that I knew could succeed. Light-based attenuation and extreme circuit simplicity. The fact that this extreme circuit simplicity involved the use of buffers made this a no-brainer for me.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:19:18 AM by theophile » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: