The Hornshoppe Forum
June 27, 2017, 05:11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Very expensive Truth..........  (Read 5187 times)
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 01:12:16 PM »

You are correct.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 03:32:13 PM »

Yep, phono stage still required but The Truth should have enough gain so that any "normal" ones will work.
Ed
edit***** the xformers  will be able to be switched in and out of circuit and will most likely be on just one set of inputs. Again the goal is to get some gain, not "improve" anything......at best we'll not hurt anything but get some gain.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:34:14 PM by Ed Schilling » Logged
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 12:57:47 AM »

Any chance of balanced output?

Turntable - Yamaha GT 2000
Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice (ebony).
Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Studio Monitors
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 01:07:05 AM »

Cheekily, given the reluctance of most people to listen to the literal truth, maybe Ed should consider calling this one:

The Inconvenient Truth.

Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 03:01:49 AM »

or the x-formed Truth  Grin
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »

The Transformed Truth

Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 01:40:52 PM »

Ed would never go for Inconvenient Truth. Al Gore would want a royalty. I don't want Ed to have a stroke. I do like Transformed Truth though.

steve
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 04:10:12 PM »

Hey Steve, I don't know......it's already "inconvenient" to everyone building line stages Smiley.

The xformers will be here Mon. it looks like. I need a phonostage with 30-40 db of gain to test with and I think I can borrow the NAD I gave Tommy years ago and it should do as a test.  I'll do what I can when I can and report ASAP!
Ed
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2016, 05:03:27 PM »

Ed. You need the best turntable that you can possibly borrow and the best phono stage. Not a NAD. What you are listening for is whether the transformers compromise The Truth. Even a very good turntable and very good phono stage will not be sufficient. Your creation is too capable and too valuable to water down for the sake of a few dB.

Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2016, 05:39:13 PM »

Hey Theophile, let not your heart be troubled. I just need to see about the gain and whether it will  work at all and build it. If it works it will be going to someone that has what you describe......  bet you can guess who that might be Smiley I will offer no judgment unless it sucks or does not work. The "other fellow" will determine the performance Smiley He's pretty sure it's the way to go in order to get some gain. I sorta trust his opinion!
Ed
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 05:52:59 PM »

Good to know Ed.  Grin

Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 06:26:12 PM »

Thanks buddy. I have a feeling that if this works out a lot of folks will hear about it (hint) and a lot of folks (competitors) will not be happy. If it does not, oh well. Remember, the goal is 15db switchable with NO loss in performance. They will not increase performance , that is pretty much impossible but if they help all the folks with low output carts. and or less than 50db phono stages with no downside except cost they will be worth it for the ultra high end folks. For us regular guys my SS gain stage will work for most with decent but not SOTA rigs. When I get time to actually build a second one.

I think I mentioned this......what I'm building will have outboard p/s (most likely dual), wired with mono-crystal wire, probably crazy RCA's and God only knows what else. Now, considering how good the thing is to start with I think the xformers will be the only thing that matters but that will not be my call! This experiment will be interesting at least and the good news is I'll be able to test the concept quickly. The fancy unit will be at least a month away but I'll know if the xformers and the circuit are happy together pretty quickly.
Ed
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2016, 12:15:23 AM »

It just took nearly two weeks for the penny to drop. Now I know the fellow with the classy turntable. Salvation is at hand.

johnnycopy

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 01:25:52 AM »

I assumed it was Mr Salvatore but obviously could be mistaken.

Keep us updated Ed!
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 08:48:43 AM »

I think I mentioned this......what I'm building will have outboard p/s (most likely dual), wired with mono-crystal wire, probably crazy RCA's and God only knows what else.
Ed

Ed, if an upgraded power supply is the goal, may I suggest trying the Belleson SuperRegulators?  https://www.belleson.com/ They're made right here in SC, and putting one in place of the 7818 voltage regulator made a significant difference in the sound of my Graham Slee Reflex X phono stage, and I was running that off +24v of motorcycle battery power. It still doesn't make complete sense to me that "pure DC" from two batteries in series, being stepped down to +18v by a 7818 could be made quieter by the Belleson, but that's exactly what happened. I suspect that the 78XX, and 79XX regulators add their own noise to the power supply.

I bought two more Bellesons, a plus and minus 15V for my Truth some time ago, but I've been too busy riding motorcycles and shooting guns to solder them in.

Edited to fix hyperlink.

I thought I'd mention it, just in case you hadn't considered replacing the Truth's 7815 and 7915 regulators.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:29:02 AM by Luddite » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: