The Hornshoppe Forum
July 27, 2017, 01:48:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Very expensive Truth..........  (Read 5761 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: November 01, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »

Well, I have been prodded and poked (in a good way and I'm excited) and stuff is headed my way, apparently. The goal is 15 db of gain using Permalloy transformers. They will be able to be switched in and out of circuit. This is a really expensive way to get gain but probably the best.....we'll see.
Ed
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 06:28:50 PM »

Ed, might as well make a dual mono version for AS.

steve
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:17:02 PM »

Hey Steve, dang, I forgot to mention the outboard dual power supplies. We are going for SOTA. Concieved, designed and built by an idiot.
Ed
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 04:33:35 AM »

Cool.

Turntable - Yamaha GT 2000
Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice (ebony).
Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Studio Monitors
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 05:30:22 AM »

I am still happy with the original Truth (#15) but it is good to see that there are new developments going on.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:21:57 PM »

Ed,
I volunteer to evaluate the prototype. Are you gonna' give it fancy knobs and a 1/2" faceplate like the other guys do?
Steve
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 10:10:46 PM »

Hey Steve, I'm afraid the fellow who had the xformers made will want to test it first. Smiley  I am on the fence on this one. The xformers are to give 15db of gain with no loss in transparency. The object is not to try and make it "sound better" but rather have it sound the same but with gain available.

I had worked out the active gain stage and had boards made but my friend is quite certain that this (these fancy xformers)  is the way to go and he's sure enough to have had xformers made in Italy for the experiment. They are very expensive. He is sure the Truth is worth the expense....I can not argue with that but DAMN....y'all know I'm all about "bang for the buck".

When I say "on the fence" I mean that since I do not need gain (with the TS Phono and my DAC I have plenty) and the xformers are not going to make it sound better but hopefully not degrade the sound when switched in circuit and the only benefit is 15 db of gain I'm not sure it is worth the price. Then again, it may very well be for some folks if they are in fact better than my active gain stage. My buddy says "it's the only way to do it" and he's willing to invest in the experiment.

Oh, he sent me some kind of fancy "mono crystal" wire.....and I'm sure fancy connectors are coming too.

I hate that these mods will be so expensive but there is simply no way around it. My friend says that it will be worth it to anyone that is serious about audio and that The Truth is not expensive in the first place.
Not sure about that.....I want my "peeps" to get the best I can give at the cheapest possible price..............the best I can give may have just increased in price................we'll see if it's worth it!
Ed
Magidrakee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 08:00:55 AM »

I will be waiting for the double-blind test results Cheesy
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 12:05:09 PM »

15 DB is a lot of gain.
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 06:23:31 PM »

Using a transformer is a brilliant idea. However Steve is right 15db is a lot of gain. I would only need about 3-6db more to get my SR-45 to clip from a lowish line source, and I think it is one of the least sensitive amps out there...John 

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 07:38:18 PM »

Guys, it is for the phono section. Most phono stages do not have enough gain for The Truth. This will fix that. My active stage is about 10db and it is just enough for a phono with 35db. 15db would be better. My buddy says this is the best way to insure the best line stage on the planet will have enough gain for normal phono stages. We shall see and I welcome any and all opinions!
Ed
johnnycopy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »

So one truth will be able to input both a line stage and a turntable?

How expensive is stupid expensive.

Is this mm level or mc level gain?

Thanks Ed
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 09:40:08 PM »

This is going to be interesting. I'll never need that because I use Bruce's phono pre, but this will allow more options.
Still think that's a lot of gain. 6-12 should be plenty. But I've been wrong before.

steve
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 10:19:17 PM »

Y'all do realize this is like having a 500 hp car.........it's not a rule you have to put your foot to the floor but it's nice to have the extra "power" if it comes with no downside!
Ed
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 11:36:12 PM »

So one truth will be able to input both a line stage and a turntable?

How expensive is stupid expensive.

Is this mm level or mc level gain?

Thanks Ed

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Ed means you need to use a separate phono stage prior to The VE Truth.

Turntable - Yamaha GT 2000
Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice (ebony).
Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Studio Monitors
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: