The Hornshoppe Forum
August 23, 2017, 06:39:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: End of The Horns  (Read 16924 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »

sort of................

Well, it's all over. The Horned Heil has driven a stake through the heart of The Horns. The Horns are a great speaker and always will be. Small, cheap, effective and something I have lived with for over 10 years.

The recent availability of the Heil driver caused me to revisit the past. This time with modern caps and coils of close tolerance. Something that was difficult if not impossible 30 years ago. Another "problem" back then was a bass/mid bass driver equal to the Heil.

The Horns with the 126 (en or not) have the efficiency and "speed" to match the Great Heil. The "marriage" is damn near perfect. Corner loaded or not the Horned Heil is incredible. The clarity really is "clear as light". It will run on a couple watts and go insanely loud. It sounds like a "point source". The diaphragms and voice coils are in the same plane. It looks like the Horns were made for them.

Wanna know what I really think? Well this is it......the Horns have now become our budget speaker. There will be no more Model 2 or 3's.
Over and done...... that said, both of those can be made into a completely over the top, completely insane speaker. Both would benefit from being able to xover (gasp!) the 126's at different places ( I have a plan Smiley ).

As long as the Great Heil is being produced, the Horned Heil will be our "Top of The Line". It is the same size basically, easy to ship and kicks ass.

As I always said "I'd never leave the guys who supported us out in the cold if I came up with something better". I stand behind that today......every single pair of Horns can be made into The Horned Heil with no compromises in the sound or looks as opposed to buying a new pair. For M 2 and M 3 owners interested in "upgrades" please just contact me directly and I'll fill you in.

And now we get to the "problem"......the things are expensive and the xover is not "cheap". The price of the Horned Heil is likely to be 1800 dollars.....the upgrade, which is xover in a nice box and The Great Heil is likely to be 850-875 bucks, including shipping (for 31 pounds!).

The "other problem" is that it is worth every single penny.

The T90's extend the response of the 126's as they start to fade, around 15k or so.....well guess what, they aren't hateful with the Horned Heil. About the same effect....no change in the "timbre" but they do extend the response of the system.

So there you go.....the "official announcement"....The Horns are now our budget speaker.

The era of The Horned Heil has arrived. I suggest buying a set of spare diaphragms, that way unless you try really, really, hard your speakers will be good for >30 years......easily.

I'm sorry for all this....I was quite happy and I guess most of you were too.....we all knew The Horns were and are a great speaker. This one is just much better and it hurts me!

Ed

How about some keywords? The Horned Heils use ESS Heil Air Motion Transformers or Heil AMT.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:11:03 PM by Ed Schilling » Logged
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:01:19 AM »

Knowing how much the ESS Heil cost plus a few $ for some good x-over parts are easily $ 850 or 875. Sounds like your are just 'giving away' the upgrades without making money. Don't know many, if any, people in the Audio Industry that don't try making money of their customers. Isn't that what business is all about?

But then, Ed is not your usual business men. He does not call his customers - customers, but friends. And you don't try to get rich of your friends.

My hat is off to Ed and his 'business practices'.

Still need to hear those new speakers before leaving for Scotland.

PS: Glad you did not 'kill' the Model one, since the price difference to the Heiled Horns is substantial and would leave many possible customer/friends out in the cold.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:39:22 AM by Capt. Z » Logged
steve f
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »

Capt.Z,

First let me say I agree with you completely.  We are all buddies here. Ed really does care about his "peeps" and I know that changing his Horns is painful.  Think about it, until now the cost of upgrade has only been to change out a relatively cheap Fostex driver.  By typical HI-FI standards, where mods go on ad nausium,
 and way too frequently, Ed is only one of 3-4 audio business guys I know who hasn't exploited his customer base. (Hell, he even helped me solve a problem when I was having trouble with an amp.) But, because he is honest, he knew the time for a change has come.

I wish you well on your Scottish journey, and hope you hang around the forum and tell us about life on the other side of the pond. 

Steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »

...There will be no more Model 2 or 3's.
Over and done...... that said, both of those can be made into a completely over the top, completely insane speaker. Both would benefit from being able to xover (gasp!) the 126's at different places ( I have a plan Smiley )...

So... I've been contemplating going back to the little Horn and now this.   Cheesy

I really need to get down to Leesville soon.   Smiley
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »

So, anybody been over there to hear 'em yet?
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 06:02:25 PM »

Just my bud David and Helen. Both said "wow". Get your money ready. We are all screwed.

Guy, bring your book with you. Seth said he'd sign it and send it back to me if I send it with his amps.

My Classe' Seven Hundred started smoking last night! My CFA is missing the 12BH7's (should have them back soon) so I'm "stuck" with my 6V6 50 year old Motorola amp. It ain't bad!

It's the dawn of a new era!
Ed

luvdemhorns

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:26:38 PM »

I take it the Heil is a tweeter?  Does it replace the the other tweeter option (T90), or does it add something else (midrange, upper bass)?
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 04:47:50 AM »

Luv, no they are not the same and do not perform the same function. The T90 extends the response of the 126. The great Horned Heil is a true 2 way. The Heil plays everything above about 800hz. The T0- could be used to extend the Heil as well.
Hope this helps.
Ed
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 05:08:54 AM »

So, one could run Horny Heil with T90 and Cube?  Shocked
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:16:33 AM »

YEAP
steve f
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 12:38:23 PM »

So, one could run Horny Heil with T90 and Cube?

Cheerwino,

What you end up with is a "redneck" version of the original Wilson Wamm! Except that there isn't a duplication of the mid-woofer.  Maybe an extra 126en mounted above the Heil driver & t-90 in a small box, hmmmm...

Steve
greenvalve

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 12:41:29 PM »

My Classe' Seven Hundred started smoking last night!...
Ed

Sand.  Roll Eyes
steve f
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »

Over the years, I've lost a couple of SS amps that way.  The amps failed in order to protect the fuse. One, an early SAE actually caught on fire! How do you put the smoke back into transistors after it gets out???  I hope Ed's amp survived.

Steve

PS: That's how I started on the path of high efficiency speakers, and small rugged tube amps.
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »

FYI: Ran across this recent review of the Heil AMT from TNT Audio.

And there's info on the Heil Air Motion Transformer at Wikipedia, along with bio on Dr. Heil.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 07:46:07 PM »

Thanks Guy, I have not seen any reviews or info on the Heil .....

"The other vital aspect of system design is matching the speed of the bass-mid driver to the ESS AMT tweeter. Ultra low mass cones combined with BIG magnets and short voice coils are the order of the day. "

I knew this already but it was nice knowing someone else knew it too Smiley
Ed

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: