The Hornshoppe Forum
May 28, 2018, 03:02:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Horned Heil update.......  (Read 19466 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 07:32:25 AM »

Hey Guys, thanks for the suggestions. The xover is LARGE. It will not fit in the voids. There are two of them, so 2 boxes. I'll do some more looking this weekend. It never occurred to me that I could not just buy a box at "Hobby Lobby"! They have some inexpensive, nice looking ones.....just too small.

I could put it on a "slab o' wood" but I am going to have the connections via binding post, and mounting the posts on a slab may not look "nice".

I also am bouncing back and forth between the "fully corner loaded" vs. "the exposed driver" version. Helen took a piece of the BH5 to wrok and used the paper cutter to make a "perfect" square. This is a major deal in using it for my purpose. There is another advantage to the BH5......no exposed driver to poke in!!!!!!  I am still amazed at how well it works. A small xover xchange is all that is needed to switch between the two. I think I'll make that option easy to do.

Due to a slight snafu my drivers did not get shipped last week. They are all on the way. I hope to be shipping something out next week!

Oh yea, I colored my drivers black with a Sharpie.....they blend in well with the Camo Smiley
Ed

Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 08:14:25 AM »

Hey Ed, other stores in our area to try would be Michaels or Garden Ridge. Hobby Lobby is the "upscale" craft store.  Cheesy

Are you thinking the boxes would sit on or beside the Horns? Not sure I should be asked a man with camo speakers for aesthetic advice, though.  Grin
greenvalve

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »

Ed, just cast the crossovers in a block of resin. Claim it is uber-proprietary milspec UFO dampening material and double your fee.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CASTING-RESIN-1-gallon-kit-BLACK-/330550211562?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf653f3ea

That way you only have to make one box. Have the sides removable, just use it over and over to hold the liquid resin. I would be surprised if you used more than 5 maybe 10 bucks worth per crossover, when buying it in bulk. Doubt you will find good boxes for less than that.

And it might actually sound better?

Don't forget the mold releasing agent:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOLD-RELEASE-Parting-Agent-EXTENDS-MOLD-LIFE-12-Oz-Can-/330569523641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf77aa1b9
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »

Hey Ed... it may be time to call Dad.  Smiley

BTW... Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there.   Grin
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »

Ed, just cast the crossovers in a block of resin. Claim it is uber-proprietary milspec UFO dampening material and double your fee.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CASTING-RESIN-1-gallon-kit-BLACK-/330550211562?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf653f3ea

That way you only have to make one box. Have the sides removable, just use it over and over to hold the liquid resin. I would be surprised if you used more than 5 maybe 10 bucks worth per crossover, when buying it in bulk. Doubt you will find good boxes for less than that.

And it might actually sound better?

Don't forget the mold releasing agent:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOLD-RELEASE-Parting-Agent-EXTENDS-MOLD-LIFE-12-Oz-Can-/330569523641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf77aa1b9

Sounds cool! Joey will be looking for coins and bugs you can imbed in it, too!
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »

I still think that z-over is best kept inside the Horns. Ed you just need to chop up that x-over in two parts and make it fit. Forget PCB board and wire it point to point.
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »

"Slab o┬┤wood?" Maan, make them look as expensive as they are - hotglue the parts onto a piece of mirror.

Pit
steve f
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 12:29:02 AM »

If you pot the crossover innards you can be just like Wilson Audio. (Supposedly to prevent resonances & keep DIY types at bay)  Of course when you want to retrofit a crossover, that's a different story.  Since Ed has never picked up on how to run a high end company, there's not much of a point in proprietary secret sauces etc. Perhaps a crossover that can be switched from " The Horn Fully Loaded" to "Return of the Horned Heil"  Cheesy

Steve
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »

Capt., caps are too big! There is not as much room in those voids as it seems!

Steve, at this point that seems reasonable. All that is needed to go from one to the other is a change in the LP filter. I see no reason not to have the ability to switch between the two.

I am going to attempt to go into the room from Hell and dig out my analyzer and look at some sweeps......been a long time since I bothered. I think it should be done to verify what I think I hear Smiley
Of course the results will not change anything, but it'll be interesting to see.

That is assuming I can do something about the xover housing, that is priority one!

Ed
homey

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »

Ed.....What about just adding another void to the cabinet,  Have the new void on top & just build all of the cabinet sides taller & have a trap door on top
for access. (Behind the Heil)  or is the Heil too thick?

You could even have the binding posts up higher in the back with the wires coming into the crossover area & then drop the 126 wiring down into the driver area.
& a 2nd set to the Heil just in front of the crossover.  of course the cabinet would be trickier to build

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:53:40 PM by homey » Logged
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »

I was thinking about a box that would serve a pinith or stand. My couch is higher than the one in the Pink room and raising them up just might work for me. Have to wait  till I get the parts and see what's what...John   

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
steve f
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 11:30:50 PM »

A stand might alter the flare of the horn.  But then so does pulling the horn out into the room.  Either cost would have to go up higher than for a dedicated box, because that would take a more massive design, of you would have to redesign the Horn to accommodate the crossover parts in a base.  The horn works well and I would hate to mess with that part of the design.  An outboard crossover box is a lot easier to build and keep costs reasonable.

Steve
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 05:03:49 AM »

You also can place a cross over box close to the amp and run 2 sets of speaker wires to the Heiled Horns.
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 06:31:40 AM »

I'm thinking more like Capt. Z. You could get a box to match the width of The Truth. Like Capt. mentions, you'd have double speaker runs, so that would double the cost of the Woods extension cord.  Wink
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 08:48:42 AM »

Thanks again guys! No way on changing the Horns in any way (for now at least). Unless the change could be made by anyone easily.

Outboard box is best because it will allow those of you who desire to be able to make changes to the oxover slope and even type. While there is certainly a "correct" xover slope and type that does not mean some may not benefit from tweaking it to their own particular room or preference.

Flexibility without looking stupid is the goal. I did think about one big box and dual runs of wires.....I can't think of any reason not to go that way except I'm not sure about the long run to the Horns after the xover. Never done that (amazingly) so I have no info on how it might or might not work. Gut feeling is that it would be fine.

All that said, I found two 7X7 boxes at Michael's and they are the right price and look "pretty good".

Will make one up today and post a pic.

Thanks guys, keep suggestions coming, the more brains the better!
Ed
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: