The Hornshoppe Forum
August 19, 2017, 02:04:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Frugal Horn Speakers  (Read 3423 times)
vrod

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2016, 06:53:12 AM »

I've been spending some time at the DIY Audio Site. I read about the The Frugal Horns. Are these similar to ED'S design? They seem a lot taller but I could be wrong. Has anyone heard these and what impressions do they have. By the way my new 126en have about 20 hours on them and they sound impressive. The Spectral that blew up my previous Fostex speakers now has new output transistors (one was weak), the bias has been reset but has not been shipped back to me. My other DMA50 is also going back for refurbishing. I plan to use Ed's The Truth (currently being built) with them.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 08:05:58 AM »

...I read about the The Frugal Horns. Are these similar to ED'S design?...

Frugal boy thinks so.  Just an unsuccessful attempt to rip Ed off of a good design.  It ain't the first time and probably not the last.  Cheesy
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:08:53 AM »

VRod, The Horns are a 6 foot long, roughly exponential flare, and in corners almost have a proper mouth for the targeted cutoff. The other one is not a horn at all....more like a TL that is not a proper design.

A horn is a horn, anything less is not. Only a horn can increase efficiency while reducing excursion, or at least that is what PK said. The other one should not be able to play as loudly before distortion nor should it have as good or as deep of bass, it may boom but that is just boom.

Ed
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »

Yeah, what Henry said!!!
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:50:04 PM »

Yeah, what Henry said!!!

Yes, it's pretty obvious what's going on, even I get it.  Think you're bright and corrupt enough to steal another man's intellectual property, then throw in a healthy dose of condescension and passive aggressiveness.  That's how frugal snake rolls.  Roll Eyes

In the past, another jackhole got a Horn, whacked it in half to see the interior folds and made his own version. 

How do these guys sleep at night?  Unfortunately, probably well.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:55:42 PM by Henry » Logged
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 05:18:17 AM »

There have been several. One guy dissed Ed and the Horns, then sold/still sells an inferior speaker that isn't a horn, and defies the laws of physics.

If someone wants to build a copy of a known speaker design for personal use only, that's okay. Some designers have given their designs away. Ed's bucket sub is a fine example.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:34:18 AM by Steve F » Logged
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »

Exactly Mr. Steve,

Nelson Pass is the DIY bomb.  I have benefited many times from his graciousness.  Ed does the killer bucket that has been vetted by Bruce R.

It's hard to hide goodness. Grin
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 06:12:25 PM »

I've never built anything Mr Pass designed. One of these days.
I could name only a few other guys who really help out the DIY community.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 02:35:07 AM »

Steve, you should cobble together the ACA.  It's excellent and inexpensive.  Buy the complete kit because the chassis requires no drilling and it looks nice.  It will make you happy with your high efficiency speaker tendencies.   Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: