The Hornshoppe Forum
October 23, 2017, 09:11:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Preparing the Fostex 126en  (Read 4442 times)
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 11:29:26 AM »

Next time i get froggy i will try greenvalve's mylar mod to dust cap.Already tried on blown speaker-i used a blow dryer instead of flame as he did.Tried with flame and cooked the mylar.Too bad i can't listen to my work since speaker is blown.But now i'm confident i can do it easily.Not too pretty so i'm looking for a paint i can use but plenty of time to figure that out.In the meantime my heiled horns sound amazing!!!!!!
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »

If you want to see what duct seal looks like applied go to planet10 website-that's not where i 1st read about using it but he does have a good pic of 126 with duct seal applied.He has many other mods he applys to this speaker but the duct seal and damping of ringing basket were of importance to me.I would have to hear the effects of EnABLE before i judge it.Sounds like a winner and gets great reviews but i believe duct seal application is most important.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 11:24:35 PM »

I've compared enabled drivers to normal drivers, at least for Fostex 126en units, mounted in the Horns. Here's what I found. If both drivers are new, the enabled driver sounds a bit smoother. Once the drivers have a lot of hours on them, there doesn't seem to be any differences. I'm guessing that the untreated cone flexing breaks down the cone's fiber surface a bit, and then has a equal response to the treated cone. This took a couple of months.
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 04:57:40 AM »

I've heard same about enable.Greenvalve's mylar tape on removed dust cap will be next for me.Still can't believe huge improvement by using duct seal.I'll try mylar mod next!!!
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »

Hey cool hand, the upper frequencies may be better, but if I understand, you are running them as two-ways.  Just a thought.  Something to contemplate. 

Again, have a good time.  Let us know what happens.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 09:33:21 PM »

Good point Henry.
I wonder if the shape of the dust cap is more important than the material anyway. There is a lot of room for experimentation, and benefits if any, would benefit a full range driver, and not the Heils.
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 07:49:45 AM »

Yes the heils are fine as is but the fostex driver responds quite well to some simple mods-really amazing improvements can be made with little cost and a small ammount of time invested!!!!
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »

Steve is correct. The dust cap (on the 126En) is/was designed to extend the HF. Modifying it will result in a decrease in HF. Adding gobs of putty to the magnet can not possibly damp anything audible. The only place it can do any good, if it actually does is on the basket arms and junction of the basket and magnet, which is where I put the stuff.

I have been butchering and modifying drivers for decades. The apparent increase in "performance" is most likely due to the 126En being made to a higher tolerance and better QC. having measured 100's of them I no longer do it because they all now measure within the tolerance I used to match them to!

That said, I have no problem at all with folks doing anything they want if they like the results but one should remember that the "placebo effect" is alive and kicking hard in the high end audio world Smiley
Ed
ps.....I had drivers done by the man that invented the "little dots" (Mr. Bud Purvine, a really nice fellow, btw) and did a fair number my self. The results? See the last sentence above. If a fellow pays a lot for a "modification" then it stands to reason they will think an improvement is made even though the "improvement" can not be measured when compared to a stock driver or that no change can be measured after the driver is modified.

coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 08:12:27 AM »

I would like to add that when i modded 126 i was listening to results sans heil.Left 1st and i heard major improvements.So i applied duct seal to right.I could definitely live with horns by themselves.But after adding heils the full magic of Ed's speakers was realized!If you decline to add duct seal it's your loss-i won't try to convince you anymore.More time to listen!!!!!
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 08:22:13 AM »

Ed i appreciate your input but i assure you no placebo effect was taking place.Please try it yourself-like i said it takes $2 worth of ductseal and maybe 20-30 min to apply.Then tell me it's all in my head!I have 50+ years listening to stereo-mostly vinyl and years ago used to mix for several local bands.Ears of gold i was always told-so believe it or not for the small amount of time invested just try it and let me know if the placebo effect is in action.trust me it is not.....Mike
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »

And i have not done mylar mod and probably will not-right now Fostex 126 in my estimation could not sound any better.Greenvalve says he likes mylar mod over heiled driver-i don't believe that!And as far as Enable mods and such they would not add anything but the placebo effect.Not worth the time or money to even try!!!!My heiled horns and sub sound as close to perfection as i have ever heard-i'm a happy camper and just giving my honest opinion.Try it or not-not really concerned-done with it!!!!!!
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 02:27:49 PM »

CH, did you do both? Please understand  that I respect your opinion but the improvement could be due to other things than the damping. As I said the 126En has gotten better with regard to QC but also depending on how much duct seal is on them the volume of the chamber may have changed enough to make a difference.

I certainly would not want to discourage you or anyone from doing anything that "helps"!

You only replaced one driver, correct? I think you should replace the other one as well. It would also be good if you installed it un-modded to compare and then damp it. This is not a "trick" but you would be giving valuable info to those reading the thread.

This is the primary reason this forum exists.....to question......give opinion...................and have fun!
Ed
ps.....got your call but must have just left the house!
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 03:33:52 PM »

I replaced left fostek and applied duct seal to it.After i heard the superior sound i applied duct seal to original.Without seal on right channel the difference was so great i thought i was out of phase.I was in phase but adding the damping was causing this.So i applied to right and magic.And perfectly matched and sounding beautiful.Say  whatever you want it is real and takes maybe an hr to accomplish this.At least try it on one speaker for christ sake!!!!!
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 03:42:48 PM »

Also the right speaker had your personal treatment which added virtually nothing as far as damping.No need to use on spokes of driver-the duckseal takes care of that also.People once thought the world was flat-i think now it has been proven it is in fact round.....Mike
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 03:58:30 PM »

By the way,Ed,you have no respect for my opinion if you don't try ductseal on one speaker.If you don't hear exactly what i'm hearing-i will personally visit you and kiss your hillbilly ass!!!!Since you don't answer your phone i had to try a more drastic approach....Mike
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: