The Hornshoppe Forum
June 23, 2017, 04:57:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Preparing the Fostex 126en  (Read 2755 times)
vrod

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2016, 01:46:20 PM »

They finally arrived: I went to Home Depot and bought Duct Seal Putty and I spent a considerable amount of time damping the basket of each speaker. I started at the apex of the basket  where it inserts into the magnet structure. There is a crevice there and a moderate amount of putty was placed, next, I applied putty to the outside AND inside of the basket's spokes and discarded the cheap rubber seal that came with the speaker. The top of the basket, where the seal was to be placed, is now occupied by putty. This makes a much better seal, reduces ringing and I finished by soldering the speakers. The results? Either Fostex has improved this speaker or damping the basket has an ENORMOUS impact on the sound. Out of the box these new speakers are better after two hours of listening than my old ones. There is less glare, better localization of instruments and the bass response is much better and all of this is only going to get better. Ringing is the Achilles heel of this(and I presume any) speaker. Also the better seal has improved the bass and coherence of the 126en. Most of the sophisticated members of this forum probably already know all the above. I thought some of the newbies(like me) might be interested in this entry.  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:21:07 PM by vrod » Logged
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:24:56 PM »

I did the same mod since i blew out one side and had to replace the 126.The one i used putty on is not even broke in and already sounds cleaner then the one from Ed.I'm sure Ed knows about this mod but for some reason he uses that black crap which is impossible to work with.I'm glad i didn't get that goop from him and did a little investigation online.It didn't take long to apply the putty and sonic result was amazing!!!!I'm not up for replacing the other 126 right now but will do so in the future.Many mods on line for the fostex but this one has great benefits.I'm going to remove dust cap next off blown speaker and try the mylar next.Don't know if i have the guts to put a razor blade on a working one.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 12:46:52 AM »

Hello, coolhand,  I've done the dust cap trick a few times.  My advice is to leave it as stock.  I didn't ruin any drivers, but I didn't perceive an improvement.  I bought wooden phase plugs and sold them.  Just my two cents. 

If you decide to do it, let us know how it worked.

Take care, Henry
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 06:20:12 AM »

Great advice-i will leave it stock!!!!
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 06:43:07 AM »

I have decided to pull old 126 and apply the putty to it.It really makes a positive improvement and not that hard to do.Still love Ed's horns and will keep them playing forever!!!!!
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 10:18:22 AM »

coolhand, please understand I didn't want to quell your interest in trying different things.  I'm only conveying my experience.  We all have different systems and ears, so I should have made a disclaimer.  If it makes you happy, that's all that matters.

The cool thing is this is inexpensive.   Smiley
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »

Thx again for your input but i decided against it-the horns just sound so good as is.But Greenvalve site got me intriged in Mylar tweek-I'm over it for now.... mike
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »

Hi guys,
I just want to add my 1.5 cents to this discussion. I mentioned deadening baskets on another forum. One that Ed and I are no longer welcome on, btw.  Anyway, Mr VanAlstine a noted manufacturer recommended against plumbers putty, as it can adversely affect speakers. He said modeling clay is the way to go.
Steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »

Hey Steve, Mr. Frank is making an Ultravalve for me.  I just need another amp or two.  Huh
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »

Everybody needs more stuff. At least I think so.
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 07:06:10 PM »

Actually i used duct seal and don't see how it could have adverse affect on 126-unless sounding well damped and controlling the speaker better is bad-don't knock it til you've tried it!!!
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »

coolhand...It's a good thing to be well damped.  Now go to Walmart and buy bb's to fill the void space.  Just the lower portion. 

http://thehornshoppeforum.com/index.php?topic=145.0
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 06:17:09 AM »

Thx but no thx-I'm really happy with sound of horned heils atm-later who knows.....Mike
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »

My horns are bolted into 1 inch thick wood-about 2x2 ft.I have cats and they have an urge to jump on anything so it was a concern.
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »

Tried a nice mod for 126 en.After doing left side 126 with duct seal on basket above and below i noticed about 2-3 db louder from mod side.At 1st i thought it was break in since it was a new driver.But also noticed improvements though entire speaker.Crystal highs-midband smoother and more articulate and bass also improved.So today i modded the good driver.Now the levels matched and the horns sounded better than i had ever heard them.A major improvement-really amazing.That was $2 worth of duct seal from home depot and maybe 45 min to apply.It is a little stiffer then putty but you can work it pretty easily.I put about 3/8 inch rolled out above magnet and just covering a little of the spokes.Then i applied a smaller layer to top of basket.Finally bout 1/2 inch to cover back of magnet.Only added to magnet on right speaker and really couldn't hear much difference from left where i didn't do magnet.So there it is-flame away-but i love it so who really cares what anyone thinks.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: