The Hornshoppe Forum
June 29, 2017, 03:34:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The destruction of my horns!  (Read 3926 times)
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 09:54:39 AM »

Sympathy on the Catzilla thing. I've got two tabby brothers who are smart enough to shred their cat tree, and ignore my stereo.
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 10:35:21 AM »

One of my cats loves to lay on amp and used it like a heating pad.Then when he got bored he played with my speaker wires.If i didn't love my pets-they would be buried outside but i put up with them and deal with it!!!!!
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 08:09:31 AM »

Mike, went to Lowes. No one had a clue what "duct seal" was. They showed me all kinds of stuff but nothing I'd put on a speaker basket. They had some stuff in a tub but it seemed way to liquidy to be useful.
Can you shoot an image of the container?

With that said....I simply CAN NOT do ANYTHING to my system! What I did not make apparent is that my system is a "standard reference" that I use for evaluating The Truth when I build them. I have a couple discs that I use for this. I know exactly what certain songs sound like any changes I make will wreck the standard. I bet I've heard "Radar Love" 9 gazillion times. My system has not changed in years. There can be no mods to my speakers! However, I'm building a pair now and if I knew EXACTLY what to get I'd/will take your advice! It just can't be with mine! Oh, and I don't have ANY time to mess with the system!
Ed
ps....I do intended to call you when I get a free few minutes!
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »

It's in the electrical section at home depot-comes in a sealed 1lb plastic wrapped package.At my home depot it was on bottom shelf and took a bit to find it.I'm shocked you are trying it!You'll have fun-it's like playing with a little stiffer play dough.Just rip off about a quarter of it and roll it between your hands til you get it about 3/8 inch then just put it in place.same on top of basket but bout 1/4 inch there.Takes no time at all-let me know what you think.Placebo or something real-you tell me!!!!!!No need to use on spokes of basket-unless you want to-top and bottom take care of any bad effects with basket.....Mike
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »

Ed-better sound is in fact the best tool to work with-i really can't see your logic that improving sound of fostek would be a detriment to voicing the truth.If the truth is as good as they say it is-the better and more accurate your speaker source-the better upstream components will sound.And the truth which is supposedly ultra transparent will only sound better.So i'm really confused about what we talked about.Might make perfect sense to you but sounds wrong to me!!!!In fact the mod to fostek will give you a better grip on what the truth is capable of not the other way around.You might have convinced yourself but you haven't confinced me....Mike
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »

I'm sure wider and deeper soundstaging-perfect tone-and better transient attack will not throw off your voicing of"the truth".In fact it will just be a more perfect tool to work with.My preamp sounds like i spent a couple grand on a new one.And speakers sound more refined and accurate on everything throw at it.Been threw all my reference war horses and remain amazed at the improvements.I can listen for hrs and no fatigue at all-just better sound then i have ever heard from the horns.And i liked them a lot before.....Mike
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 12:18:52 PM »

Mike, I can't make it any clearer.....I do not care about "better". What I care about is consistency. A "reference standard" by definition does not change. It is a "standard". My system is my "reference"....good bad or otherwise...it MUST remain the same. It is damn good enough as is and if it could be better...well that would be great if it were not my reference standard. That term does not mean "best in the universe"!

It no big deal............I'll stick it on the pair I'm finishing but unless I kill a driver and have to replace the pair (I always replace in pairs) my system will not change at all. No different wires, no different components or amps..............nothing. It's plenty of good enough as is!
Hope this helps.
Ed
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 01:07:59 PM »

Unfortunately it just doesn't make sense but do what you want....Mike
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »

Radar love as a reference-and listened to it a gazillion times-omfg now i see a real problem.If that is your reference you are sick!!!!I couldn't get through a couple listens before that crap bores me to tears.My reference disks are way more advanced then using 80's pop ditty to reference anything but maybe car stereo.And even then i couldn't make it through 1 listen without losing my lunch!!I think we are on way different levels as far as musical taste lol but if thats what does it for you-but a gazillion times-lol lol lol lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 01:59:02 PM »

Mike, LOL....it's just one track of many. Again, not concerned about what you consider "good music/recording". You might try actually listening to the track and the leading edge of the cymbals and the decay. Maybe you'll not get it, maybe you wil. Who knows, does not matter to me!

I've tried my best to explain my position! Smiley
Ed

coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »

In my eyes you have a very weak position-it was just hilarious to hear your reference.I'm still laughing-you made my day!!!!!!!
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »

I don't have a copy of radar love thank god but you are a funny mofo no doubt about that!!!!And you can voice your system on anything you want but just excuse me it just caught me as hilarious!!!!!
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »

I can pull out hundreds of lps that will put that 70's pop ditty to shame within 30 secs.I played it on utube to refresh my old memory and it still sucks-sorry but as you know we are all allowed personal opinions on this forum.Maybe i should have had a copy of Golden Earring's greatest hits on hand when i auditioned the truth.Might have totally changed my mind-lol-i don't think so-but who knows lol lol lol !!!!!!!
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »

A manufacturer chooses  reference material for the purpose of repeatable consistency. It's not about taste at all.
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 02:21:56 PM »

Try listening to Bill Evans Out Of the Cool if you want to hears the virtues in spades you gave to Radar Love-lp only no idea about cd quality-and only a 6 eye columbia 1a.Now that is an lp i would voice my loudspeakers on but you stick with Radar Love if that floats your boat!!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: