The Hornshoppe Forum
October 21, 2017, 05:06:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The destruction of my horns!  (Read 5300 times)
vrod

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:17:02 AM »

I am just sick about this. I connected my Spectral DMA50 to my horns using my tube preamp(Dennis Had custom unit). The DMA 50 has been in storage but was working when last used. Two seconds after I turned on the Spectral I smelled something burning. I turned of the amp immediately but fried both 126en speakers, one of my Fostex super tweeters and I now have a hum in my cube sub woofer. So much for amp rolling. I sent Ed an email over the weekend but have not heard from him yet. I guess now is the time to upgrade to the Great HornHeils, but I guess I will need a pair of matched 126en's. I have never looked inside Ed's Cube but hope to hear from him soon. I still have a pair of the older fostex before upgrading to the en's. As I remember I thought the base response was better with the en version. This is going to cure my amp rolling for a while. This was not a question of making a connection mistake I am pretty careful about those things. I spoke to a tech friend of mine who told me Spectrals can be pretty unstable with certain combination of components. I don't know about this since the Spectrals had been very reliable for me before I switched to tubes. They were part of my other system before I changed to tubes. Oh well, lets see what Ed says.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 11:38:45 AM »

Hey Vrod, sorry to hear of the problems.  I've fried my share of drivers.  In my limited brain, when using solid state amps with tube preamps, it seems that DC can pass when the the tube preamp starts up.  So, I've been "conditioned" to let the preamp settle for a minute before starting the amp(s).

You probably know this, but I've been there too many times.  Wink

And, the Heils are a game changer for sure.  Grin
vrod

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 12:21:15 PM »

hey Henry, I used a Counterpoint 5.1 preamp with this spectral unit for years without problems. However the Counterpoint has a slow turn on feature. I will not be using the Spectral with anything but tubes from now on.
vrod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »

Correction to Henry, no more tubes with my Spectral.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 08:12:02 PM »

Correction to Henry, no more tubes with my Spectral.

Those are fine amps, I'd enjoy hearing them.  Rock on vrod.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 08:53:44 PM »

The only way I've fried Fostex Fe 126 series drivers was by using way way too much power. Oh and by hacksaw when trying to build a Walsh driver.
I've had a pair of some tweeters blow when I turned on an old Crown DC-300 amp. I've never damaged a speaker using a tube pre with a ss power amp. Bruce has warned about pulses in wideband tube preamps. Maybe I was lucky.
These days I leave my system on 24/7. Nothing tube except for Bruce's phono pre.
Can't wait to put the Truth into the system.

I'm really surprised that the Fostex drivers didn't survive. They are tougher than they look.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 11:20:38 PM »

There's nothing like smelling your drivers. I just seem to have a propensity to do that.  It's not a reflection on Ed's speakers, It's all me.  They do take abuse when employed properly.  These will carry me the rest of the way.   Cool
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »

Vrod,
Aren't the older Spectral amps designed to pass DC? I was remembering the pain a lot of older amps caused because "DC to light" was a popular trend. Have you ever considered a capacitor on the input to high pass and block DC? Could save yourself more drivers.
steve
johnnycopy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 10:09:25 PM »

Sorry to hear vrod, opportunity to now build a bucket sub, or two, or three or four.
vrod

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 11:58:44 AM »

Hey Steve I had a spectral preamp that had that feature. I sold it because my Counterpoint 5.1 amp was so much more musical(tube everything including power supply). The Spectral amps I kept. They produce 80 watts/channel and I thought the Fostex speakers could handle that. I really think its because the Spectral's FR goes almost to infinity and that fried the speakers. The Spectrals are so fast( like crouching Cheetahs waiting to pounce). I use them with Unity Audio Signature Pyramids but guess what, the majority of my listening is thru Ed' speakers. The slow turn on feature of the Counterpoint mitigates any high frequency pulses and I NEVER turn on the Spectrals before the Counterpoint gets going.
vrod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 02:55:02 PM »

Hey Johnniecopy, If I could I would but the WAF is a problem. Besides, with Radio Shack's meter I have them flat(The Cubes) down to 40hz but there is usable output dowm to 35hz which is probably the limit of the Tang Bang woofer.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:40:45 PM by vrod » Logged
vrod

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »

Hey Steve, I'd love to leave my system on 24/7 but we have some pretty bad lighting storms here in Florida and i've already had to replace a large screen LG TV due to lightning strikes.
vrod

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 04:38:28 PM »

Ordered the 126en's from Madison sound, the Dayton amp for The Cube speakers is on back order till 8/31/16.. It turns out the Fostex super tweeters are ok but one of the Dayton capacitors got fried.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 06:25:12 PM »

Hi Vrod,
I can leave my system on because I'm in Arizona and have underground lines.
Have you considered the bucket subs? They're cheap, they're ugly, and they work.
 I'm surprised a cap burned out. Must have been one heck of a pulse.
steve
coolhand28

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »

I fried a 126 due to my cat playing with speaker wire at amp.I turned on amp and heard a loud pop.Wire had come loose and grounded on chassis.Also took out 4k directv receiver-lg 4k power supply-and last but not least-left fostex.A blessing in disguise since it led me to mod driver with ductseal and discovered the great improvement it made.LG was fixed and directv receiver replaced.Now i check all connections before i power up and added a 15 lb weight on top of pass labs amp so the little beast can't destroy anything else.Until he finds another thing to get into!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: