The Hornshoppe Forum
January 16, 2018, 04:05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ants in my Ac's Pants  (Read 1802 times)
Henry

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:36:14 AM »

My upstairs AC stopped working.  The condenser fan in the outside unit stopped working and the inside air handler was blowing warm air.  Luckily, not a big deal since I don't spend much time up there. Smiley

So I called the repair company and he came out and determined it was a contact module that had smashed ants in the contacts.  Eventually, the ant carcasses build up to coat the contacts where they were no longer conductive.  The ants were tiny and I looked at it with magnification.

The technician told me that it's common in that some homes and businesses have this occur once or twice each year (mine is almost 20 years old).  A new set of contacts fixed it.

What perplexes me is that why ants are drawn to the electromagnetic field and become smashed when they hang out on the contacts.  I guess I'll be spraying ant killer around the condenser unit.   Huh
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 01:54:59 PM »

SO... I waited and didn't treat the ants.  Within 5 days I've spent close to $370 on my upstairs AC condenser because of f-ing ants.  I have now turned both my condenser units and surrounding areas into superfund sites.   Cheesy

Take that, you ant bitches.  Angry
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »

Henry, it's something about the voltage. They love well pressure switches as well. many people have been ripped off having their well "serviced" when all that was wrong was a pressure switch full of ants. They get in mine about once a year! It's amazing the damn things just keep dying and building up  until they clog it up. Last time I bought a new one but got rid of the suckers and cleaned the contacts and I still have the new one for a spare! Sounds like you had an honest tech.!
Ed
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 11:01:46 AM »

Now I know how to do it and there will be no more ants.  But if it goes again, I know how to file the little pesky ants away from my contacts.  Cheesy

On a side note, fedex has my phono stage on the way!  Bad news is that It'll be a month before I can start.  Angry

edit:  Just another reason to build that wall and put ant traps at the bottom!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:09:08 AM by Henry » Logged
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 04:44:58 AM »

SO... I waited and didn't treat the ants.  Within 5 days I've spent close to $370 on my upstairs AC condenser because of f-ing ants.  I have now turned both my condenser units and surrounding areas into superfund sites.   Cheesy

Take that, you ant bitches.  Angry

Thanks for the "Heads Up", Henry. I'll be going out and spraying around my condenser today.

I'm trying to milk my old unit [insert inappropriate humor here] for as long as possible. I had a leak about four years ago, requiring once a season recharge. The price of the old type gas is insane. Thanks, EPA!
A friend of mine has a heating and air business. He asked me if I wanted to be a guinea pig for some new sealant he'd heard about...Kind of a "Fix a Flat" for AC units. I was going to have to pay for the treatment and recharge of Freon, whether it worked or not.

$350 for treatment and recharge vs. $3500 (likely more) for a new unit? I rolled the dice. It's been three or four years now, and holding. I'm not going to let some queen ant and her marauding bitches make my summer unbearable. Thanks for posting, and good luck with it.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 06:46:06 AM »

Luddite, although I'm not sure, it appears I have some ant species commonly known as crazy ants.  They don't seem to follow a path, but move independently and randomly.  And, they are tiny and I think it's the black variety.  So, it's hard to determine where the nest is located. 

I used a bunch of fire ant killer and some liquid ant spray close to the AC units.  That seems to have worked as I check the area daily and see no ants.  However; I still see some in the lawn a few yards away.  From what I read on-line, it seems these little demons came from central America and have slowly spread north.  I live near the SC/NC line.

If there is any benefit, these ants can displace fire ants because of their numbers and persistence.  And, it's nice I don't have a well to worry about where pesticide application is a concern.  Wink

Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 06:20:16 AM »

Luddite, although I'm not sure, it appears I have some ant species commonly known as crazy ants. 

If they're crazy ants, we're in trouble, because from what I've read, common sprays aren't going to do us (I'm north of Ed, south of Greenville) much good. The crazy ants keep swarming, en masse, and use the bodies of their dead comrades as a bridge to keep moving over the treated area.

Now you've got me wondering which is worse, the fire ants or the crazy ants. The fire ants hurt like a motherfather, can even kill a person who's allergic to their venom, but I've found they generally don't come foraging inside the house. The crazy ants, on the other hand...First my AC unit, next my First Watt amp. I doubt if Nelson Pass warranties against crazy ants.

Crazy!
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »

So guess what?  More damn crazy ants doing the same thing again in 2017.  I treated in the spring and forgot about it.  That's another mistake I'll not make as it required a visit from my friendly HVAC guy for another $185.  Three 40 amp contactors in two years totaling $555, uggh.  Roll Eyes

For some reason the ants only get into the smaller upstairs AC unit and leave the downstairs unit alone.  The units are only three feet apart.  Huh

Fear the ant...
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 08:12:23 PM »

Hey Henry, I just remembered.....if they are the little tiny black "sugar ants" then this stuff called "Terro" will get them gone. I think True Value hardware stores have it. It's a liquid bait and you put it on maybe aluminum foil. It will attract them and you'll see a lot more of them. Then one day they will be gone. It does not evaporate quickly so you can leave some in a bottle cap or 4 around the units.

Hope this helps!
Ed

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Terro-Ant-Killer-II/21903133?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2083&adid=22222222227018077334&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=51805786151&wl4=pla-83208633071&wl5=9010377&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113509876&wl11=online&wl12=21903133&wl13=&veh=sem
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 08:31:51 PM »

Thanks Ed, I'll get some Terro.  Years ago, I used the first generation of Terro.  It worked great because I remember it had some arsenic content and was bad for anything that ate it.  Good to control ants, cats, dogs, pesky children, etc.  Wink

I bet the new stuff is less hateful to small mammals, but still destroys the ants.
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 05:50:49 AM »

Hey Henry, I just remembered.....if they are the little tiny black "sugar ants" then this stuff called "Terro" will get them gone.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Terro, Ed. I've had a problem with the little black ants in my kitchen all summer. Not a lot, but any crumb left on the sink or stove would result in me finding five to ten of them in the morning.  I tried spraying the Ortho Home Defense I use around the outside of the house inside the kitchen, but it didn't help repel them.

I was in Lowe's a few weeks ago, and remembered your Terro suggestion, so I grabbed a bottle for under $4. I put a dab about the size of a dime on a piece of foil, and for about three days I had a circle of ants surrounding it like horny teenage boys surrounding a mud wrestling pit. It's probably been a week to ten days now, and no more ants.

Regarding Fire Ants, have you got the build plans for a flame thrower? I use Amdro bait when I see a mound (which is often), and it works well, but I missed one in my lawn, since it was small, so it hardly raised up at all. Just a suggestion, bare feet are great for finding the mounds you have difficulty seeing, as I recently found out. Those bastards need to DIE!
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 06:01:37 AM »

It worked great because I remember it had some arsenic content and was bad for anything that ate it. 

I bet the new stuff is less hateful to small mammals, but still destroys the ants.

Henry, the bottle of Terro I recently purchased says on the package it, "Contains Borax", but still cautions not to use it in food preparation areas, and to keep children and pets away. I don't know if it was Twenty Mule Team Borax, but whatever it was, it worked!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: