The Hornshoppe Forum
June 27, 2017, 05:18:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Phono Stage...it's all over...there is only one :)  (Read 2182 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: July 02, 2016, 08:03:13 PM »

Ok, I got a Transcendent Sound Phono Stage. I've had many and heard many. With The Truth you need at least 50db of gain which caused me to have boards built for an outboard gain stage which will fix gain for anyone with not enough.

Well, The TS has PLENTY of gain and it sounds glorious. Dead silent. I'm ecstatic and am sure I'm done......I LOVE playing records but only if they sound good. I can not see improving this setup for any thing less than a gazillion dollars.
Ed
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 01:50:02 AM »

Good for you Ed, now I want one.   Angry  I hate it when people get stuff I don't have.

It's my birthday.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that I'm two months younger than Ed.  Cheesy
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 09:34:40 AM »

Happy Birthday Henry! You made it to 60, eh? How did that feel....hahahahahahah.

I should have taken better care of my records Smiley Oh, bullshit, they sound great and a little surface noise reminds me I'm  listening to a real record and not digital Smiley

I can say without hesitation or reservation that if one owns The Truth and plays records you need to get out the plastic and call Bruce. I can build the kit quickly (now, while fresh in my mind) and save you a little over the factory built price if you're not comfortable assembling the kit. It's not hard or awfully complicated but good (at least) soldering skill is a must and electronic knowledge a plus. The best advice I can give is measure each freaking resistor....going by the color code will have you so messed up fixing it will be a nightmare! Orange, brown and purple look so close on some you might as well guess the value!

Ed
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »

Happy Birthday Henry! You made it to 60, eh? How did that feel....hahahahahahah...

I feel like piloting a fat cart through Walmart.  Then going home and watching an hour of Lawrence Welk.   Grin
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 12:19:56 PM »

Oh, and Sherry gave me an ice cream cake that had so many candles it set off the damn smoke alarms.   Roll Eyes
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 12:53:55 PM »

OK, thanks Ed, you just made me spend $750 for the kit.   Smiley
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »

Happy birthday Henry. Welcome to the old guys club.

I've been recommending the TS phono preamp for years. If there's a better one out there I haven't heard it yet. It is world class with the naked truth. As in wow. Now that Ed has one I get to say ...I told you so.

Happy fourth everyone.

steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 10:09:13 PM »

Thanks Steve, I'm looking froward to the TS phono stage.  It will be a good thing.  I love to play records.   Smiley

Being old is okay, but you wake up one day and wonder how you got here.  God has been good to me.  I hope he tolerates stupidity.    Grin

Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 06:54:56 PM »

We all hope He tolerates stupidity.
You're gonna' love the Truth/TS phono combo. Really love it.

steve
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 12:03:40 AM »

God has been good to me.  I hope he tolerates stupidity.    Grin

I believe God tolerates stupidity, but may have a little more difficult time with ignorance.  Wink Wink Wink

If I had to buy a Phono Stage I would have also chosen the TS. But I bought a used EAR 834P many years ago (while living in the US) that is not too bad and a little romantic.

Living in Europe again I find it too much of a hazzle to sell the EAR and going through all the import and duty stuff, importing the TS phono.

Anyway, enjoying Bruce's T16 with Ed's Great Heiled Horns and Truth.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 08:25:07 PM »

The TS phono stage is all that and a bag of chips.  (whatever that means)  Huh

It is really great and highly recommended.  Grin
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 02:38:46 PM »

C'mon Henry, it's cooler than that.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 11:49:59 PM »

C'mon Henry, it's cooler than that.
Yes it is cooler than that.  Even with new tubes, it is the best I've heard in my room.  No fancy pants parts or tubes and I have no desire to change anything.  It provides a very revealing, yet smooth and refined sound.  Audio magic for not a king's ransom.  With the gain it provides, it's a good match with the Truth.

I have some really good vinyl such as Beatles "Love" import from Holland, I can hear subtleties my old preamp glossed over.  I use a Dynavector 20X-2 cartridge and I'm very content with the enhanced performance Bruce's phono stage offers.

Seldom we get a chance to afford something that seems to do everything right.  If you enjoy records, this is it. As one of my friends says, "This will take me the rest of the way."  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: