The Hornshoppe Forum
June 27, 2017, 05:06:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New(to me) Great Horned Heils on the way!  (Read 2792 times)
TEA FOR ONE

View Profile Email
« on: May 11, 2016, 04:54:38 PM »

The Great Horned Heil has intrigued me for a while,And I guess the time is right for me to find out what all the hoopla is about. I found a pair on the used market,and pulled the trigger. I won't have them until 5/17.(This is going to be a long few days!) Right now I am running a pair of Nola Boxer 2's,and I am very,very happy with the way they perform. I'm not so much looking to replace them,just looking to add another great speaker to the mix. A new flavor perhaps.
   I have to say,even purchasing these used,Ed's customer service is second to none! I reached out to him with some questions,and his response was very quick. Already I can see how the owners of Hornshoppe speakers are like a family.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 07:41:24 PM »

Welcome Tea, I'm sure you will enjoy them.
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 11:59:08 PM »

Welcome in the Hornshoppe Family.

I have the GHH for several years now and I am still at awe how wonderful they play.
TEA FOR ONE

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 03:58:55 PM »

Thanks for the welcoming folks!
 The Great Horned Heils have landed! I have them hooked up and I am tinkering with placement as I type this. I am using an HSU sub,and so far I'm very happy with the integration with the horns. I have the horns about 12-14" from the side wall,and they are about 3' from the back wall. I have had to cut back the sub a bit! I was expecting these to be very light on the bass,however I am VERY surprised at the quality of bass coming out of these. At this point I'm going to play with position to get the best imaging and depth,as bass is a non issue. After I get some quality time with these,I will report back. So far so good. Grin
TEA FOR ONE

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 03:46:29 PM »

Update: The previous owner of these upgraded the drivers to the 126en's. They had approximately 80 hrs on them. I have (since Tuesday,5/17) put another 20 or so hrs on them. WOW! These are really starting to open up and sound "right". When I first set them up, I have to admit they sounded a bit muddy at times. They were kind of all over the place. As far as positioning,I now have the the drivers about 20" from the side wall,and about 2' or so from the back wall. Imaging is getting better and better. The muddiness is gone,and detail is really,really great. I plan on resealing the drivers with in the next few days. I really can't wait to put another 50-100 hrs on these! I also plan on unhooking the Great Heils ,just to hear the Horns naked.  I also would like to thank Ed for his awesome customer service! Especially, because I did not purchase these new from him.He has been great responding to the questions I've had. Grin Grin Grin
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 11:52:44 PM »

YEAH, those drivers can take a long time to break in. I used to play pink noise at night through them with a blanket on top for several weeks.

They easily take between 300 - 500 hours to fully break in, depending on how loud you play them.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »

I've even noticed if you don't play your Horns for several weeks, they will need to re break in for a day. It won't take long, like 8-10 hours. I think it's because the cones and mms are so light and the spiders and surrounds are pretty heavy duty in proportion on the 126 drivers.
audiostar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »

TEA FOR ONE,

What is your final opinion?
TEA FOR ONE

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 08:25:45 AM »

TEA FOR ONE,

What is your final opinion?
    I have a little over 200hrs on these now. It took me some trial and error to get them set up in my room. Like football,setting up speakers is a "game of inches". It also took just a little movement and tweeking of my sub,but I have it dialed in pretty good,to my ears,at least.  The detail of these speakers is tremendous. Drum hits,cymbals,sound like they are supposed to. Horns,strings,vocals,all sound lifelike to me. Another thing that really stands out for me,and this is something that is probably the most important thing for me in a pair of speakers,is imaging. I have to say,the GHH's excel at this. In my listening room,I can point to the different musicians on the stage. This imaging is sometimes almost spooky!
    Like I said,the fostex drivers have about 200hrs on them. So remember,they aren't broken in yet!
vrod

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 04:52:08 PM »

Welcome to the forum. Lots of nice helpful people here. You will enjoy these speakers. I listen to the horns more than some very expensive speakers in my main room. In another post I noticed the HSU model you are using. These are a little big for my space but the sealed 15" woofers look interesting(18"x18"x18").
TEA FOR ONE

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 05:22:07 PM »

Welcome to the forum. Lots of nice helpful people here. You will enjoy these speakers. I listen to the horns more than some very expensive speakers in my main room. In another post I noticed the HSU model you are using. These are a little big for my space but the sealed 15" woofers look interesting(18"x18"x18").

I was looking at the 15" sealed HSU. However my listening room is small,so I added a second sub,a HSU stf-1 off of flea bay. The price seems very reasonable for the performance of the 15' sub. I say,go for it!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: