The Hornshoppe Forum
October 23, 2017, 09:11:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: changes to The Truth....  (Read 127 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:55:20 PM »

I have decided to build all new ones  with dual power supplies. Yes, the price is going up but not very much. All ever built can have the second supply added if desired. I guess the question is....how could it possibly "help" given the over the top performance when built as they all have been? That I can not answer and I'm sure no difference could be measured. So why do it? Well, the design is done and finished and there will never be any changes to the actual circuit. So what could be done to make it "as good as it can possibly be"? Well, dual power supplies and very fancy wire. The second supply is actually much less expensive than fancy wire! I'll offer the wire as an option but the dual supplies will now be standard. I have not added the wire or a second supply to mine btw. Never will do the wire but I may add a second supply one day. I see no need to rush.

The Ultimate Truth had dual supplies and very fancy wire. The "fail" was simply the xformers (they were just part of the extra circuit) , regardless of their cost were not transparent enough. On a scale of 1-10 they were a 9. The problem is that for the cost they needed to be a 10, meaning that the only thing they changed would be the 6-8 db of gain on one input. An option for 6-8 db of gain on 1 input in case it was needed for double the cost of The Truth is a fail but not a complete fail. Some would have been ecstatic with the result but we're picky. It had to be utterly transparent and was not. The experiment is not over but lets not forget the goal.....to provide transparent gain for folks who have a phono stage that need additional gain for The Truth to be used. A better route at this time is a phono stage with 50 or more db of gain. The Transcendent Sound Phono Stage is excellent and has PLENTY of gain.

If anyone with the old silver case would like theirs in the new black one with or without the added power supply  I can do that and it's not really all that expensive either. I'm not really into "cosmetics" but the black box is a little nicer looking. Shoot me email or call with any questions!
Thanks for all the support, guys!
Ed
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:04:53 AM »

That's very kind of you to inform us about it Ed. I love your little gem more every time I hear it.

Turntable - Yamaha GT 2000
Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice (ebony).
Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Studio Monitors
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 08:48:48 AM »

I just want a cool looking set of knobs for mine.
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:22:49 AM »

I just want a cool looking set of knobs for mine.

You should find some on eBay.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 10:38:48 AM »

Hey Capt Z, how are you?

The other reason I want to change knobs, besides a cool look, is that a larger diameter knob would give a greater degree of control. The Truth has a fairly sensitive volume control, and a larger diameter knob will make incremental volume changes easy. Especially for a guy with aging fingers.

steve
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 01:12:20 PM »

Hi Steve;

I am doing well and are back living in Spain. Just been back to the states for a holiday. Had a chance seeing Ed and his new Truth.

eBay probably is the best place finding any kind of knob. That's were I found mine several years ago.

Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:34:56 PM »

I visited Ed, the new Truth metal case is an attractive step up from the old case.

Also, I heard the four tube TS Beast for the first time.  With regards to amplification, I'm really not sure where one could go from there.  It really is that good.  It may be time to save the pennies and look for that rare used example.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: