The Hornshoppe Forum
August 19, 2017, 02:20:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amp kits  (Read 3401 times)
Steve F

View Profile Email
« on: December 12, 2015, 02:35:28 AM »

Anybody here have any experience with either Velleman or Elekit products? While I'm asking, I have a pair of Dynaco Mk IV monoblocks sitting on a shelf. I want to rebuild them. I'm more interested in getting them to sound good than restoring to original. Who makes a good rebuild kit?
Thanks in advance.

steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »

Hey Steve, I don't have any experience with these guys, but remembered the name.  Just another way to confuse you:
http://www.curcioaudio.com/dynadr_3.htm#DYNACO%20MARK-4%20MONO%20POWER%20AMP
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 03:19:09 PM »

Henry,
That will work. Thanks. I've been going through a few boxes, and found my MkIV amps, a Dyna tube pre, and the dreaded tube fm tuner. Got enough junk lying around to start a museum. Would be nice to get them up and running again.
I'm pretty sure I'll have another give away or two after the holidays. I have to make room to restore a pair of Quad 989 Stats. Can't believe I actually want to be busier.
steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 04:07:22 PM »

I like to bring back old stuff.  I hope it works out for you.  Dynaco has a place in my heart.  At 17, I made a 120, PAT4, and had an AR2 turntable and a pair of factory SEAS with twin 8" woofers.  It was good for college and bad for my gpa.  Cheesy
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 05:28:15 PM »

Henry,
When I was in school, the prime motivator for good grades was the Vietnam War. Unbelievable parties at the school's vets club though.

My stereo consisted of a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers, an AR integrated amp, and an ancient Miracord  turntable with an Empire cartridge.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 06:56:40 PM by Steve F » Logged
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 11:16:55 PM »

I was too foolish and stoned to care about the draft.  Luckily, the war was almost over when I drew 009 out of 365.  The good Lord looks after idiots and fools.  I'm a proud example.

Miracord eh?  I had a Lenco at one time and those rim-drive marvels made the girls jump.  Good stuff.   Grin

Good luck with the Dynaco amps, that should be fun.  Smiley

May God bless those that have and are serving the USA.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 01:41:26 PM »

Henry, I won too. I was 004.
I wish the butt heads in DC gave a damn about our troops after their military service was over.

steve
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »

Steve, I had an Elekit EL84. It too proved again "I never heard an EL84 amp I did not love". It needed a variac because it ran on 100 volts. That was no big deal.
Ed
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 12:13:07 AM »

Me too Ed, I still have Eddie's Carina and it's a gem. He put some fancy parts in it. And, I found a life-time supply of 1958 Amperex d-getters.  With a Mullard gz-34, and a proper vintage driver tube, this bad boy makes mooozic.
johnnycopy

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 06:45:45 PM »

Me too Ed, I still have Eddie's Carina and it's a gem. He put some fancy parts in it. And, I found a life-time supply of 1958 Amperex d-getters.  With a Mullard gz-34, and a proper vintage driver tube, this bad boy makes mooozic.
ever hear from eddie, Henry?
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »

No, his web site seems to be down and his email is out as well.  Last I heard was he was doing machining and had given audio biz a break.  He is a gifted man, that's for sure.  That amp is so well made, I just enjoy popping the bottom off and looking at it.
johnnycopy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 10:32:40 PM »

No, his web site seems to be down and his email is out as well.  Last I heard was he was doing machining and had given audio biz a break.  He is a gifted man, that's for sure.  That amp is so well made, I just enjoy popping the bottom off and looking at it.

Yep, it always reminded me of something organic living under that bottom plate, rounded and flowing.

Where did you source the nos amperex?
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 09:09:32 PM »

Hey Johnny, I just buy used ones mostly from a guy on ebay that rebuilds Hammond organs.  It  seems that Hammond and Zenith from the late 1950's used Amperex exclusively.  Many have been rebranded, but the codes and structure verify that they are real.

They never seem to fail or be noisy.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »

Hey Johnny, I just buy used ones mostly from a guy on ebay that rebuilds Hammond organs.  It  seems that Hammond and Zenith from the late 1950's used Amperex exclusively.  Many have been rebranded, but the codes and structure verify that they are real.

They never seem to fail or be noisy.

Here's useful old list if codes if you have patience and good lighting and magnification.  It came from Brent Jesse's site.

www.audiotubes.com/PhilipsCodeList.pdf
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:19:59 PM by Henry » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: