The Hornshoppe Forum
August 20, 2017, 03:51:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: I need your help on cooling fan blues.  (Read 6025 times)
jimcant

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 10:15:20 PM »

Jim, is the toroidal transformer screwed down tight? Mine has an EL type and no problems.

steve

Thanks Steve, but yes it has been nipped up as tight as should be required:

An "upskirt" shot of the innards.

johnnycopy,

When I was using the Spud amp I used line level inputs to the plate amps, as the bass rolloff from the output transformers (of the Spud), seriously curtailed the bass.

I upgraded to a 45 wpch KT 120 based tube amp with bespoke output transformers that have no such issues, so I have in fact changed over to speaker level drive, just as you are doing, and I agree it kicks ass.
As Ed stated, the Augies are not subs, just bass augmenters, but lets not encourage him too much eh Wink
Hard to know what the causes are here. Could be that these Murican amps don't like being upside down or being in the southern hemisphere or maybe they don't know what to make of our superior Aussie power supply Roll Eyes

Cheers,
Jim
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 09:48:27 AM »

4- FFRS....two Crown XLS2500's........tell us what you think Henry Smiley Are 4- 8 inch drivers in buckets and 4800 watts enough to "pressurize" a room to ear popping levels (literally, not figuratively)? Smiley

I don't like to boom-boom very often.  I throttle those things down and enjoy the effortlessness of the show.  Although, Bootsy and Larry Graham at insane levels can warm up a woman, you just have to use discretion.  They are very real and dangerous.  My neighbor's kid was outside my window throwing gang signs and screaming "yea-yo".

They simply perform flawlessly at any level.  Grin
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 04:40:25 PM »

Henry,
We all should be a little bit jealous of your subs. I've got a question for you. Did you notice a smoother room response when all four subs are playing as opposed to two of them.
steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »

Steve it was an awakening.  The Crowns start and stop on an instant and the Ed subs seem to work perfectly.  If guys heard this stuff at credible shows, they would be amazed.

I was very troubled when I first heard the sub.  Once a little play time. they came to be great.

And yes, more is better because I have a square room with 9' ceilings.
johnnycopy

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »

4 - 15 inch drivers.....for bass, no thanks!  Guys, 2 FFRS Mark 4:20i and a Crown XLS will make more output, an octave lower and less distortion than 4 - 15's on a board. And you can hide them easily. No heat from the Crown. My FFRS is in a corner behind a cabinet. It will literally, not figuratively shake the room on stuff that actually has extreme LF content, like Madonna. They never "stand out" however.

They are the best "true" subs I've heard regardless of cost when used with a Crown XLS. It would/will not hurt my feelings if someone that has built one properly disagrees....

I've heard 2 "augies" in my room. Not even close. They are not "subs".....the FFRS is.  As a matter of fact I sold my first two to a friend and built a third.....was going to build a 4th but lost interest.....it's just not needed. Sure, it would increase output and lower distortion and cost me a staggering 75 bucks but there really is no need. So of course I'll build it one day Smiley

4- FFRS....two Crown XLS2500's........tell us what you think Henry Smiley Are 4- 8 inch drivers in buckets and 4800 watts enough to "pressurize" a room to ear popping levels (literally, not figuratively)? Smiley

Ed

***** Edit**** John, good to know you tried the speaker level connection. Even if the pre amp can drive a second set of outputs (yours should be able to) I have never found the integration to be as good as when the exact same system is used but the connection is speaker level. Many will disagree and that's ok.....it never hurts to try both! My Crown never gets warm, btw.

I agree ed, these augies are not subs, but do produce very accurate bass in the region they cover.

I want to buy/build so many things (including your subs), but my wife always has different ideas!

I think your truth pre is absolutely killer by the way.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »

I tried the regulator, but with the voltage drop, neither of my 24V fans would turn. I thought I had a spare 12V fan, but it's gone into hiding. Don't you just love making bigger problems out of easy ones?
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 04:17:37 PM »

The Augies are great.  They articulate mid-bass and lower frequencies very well.  I like them.  If you're into blues and rock, the buckets, TBI's or Cubes may be a little better.  I'm not a fan of girls on the Lollapalooza trail nor most people appearing on PBS.

The buckets were "purpose built" BTW.  Cheesy

Ed has a way of making chicken crap into chicken salad.  I guess 40+ years of playing around with this has yielded success.  <$100 subs that kill most commercial offerings are outstanding.

2wo

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 06:03:05 PM »

Hi Steve, have you tried stringing a few diodes or LEDs to drop the voltage for your fan?

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 06:28:27 PM »

Steve, I thought you were going to get a 12 volt fan because of availability and use your 24 volt source to power it. If this were the case the 7812 can sink an amp and will convert 12 to 24 volts.......pretty sure this can drive a 12 volt fan from a 24 volt source regardless of current need of the fan.
Ed
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 06:59:11 PM »

Ed, this was an interim step. I didn't have a 12V fan handy. I wanted to see if a 24V fan would spin. It didn't. Just trying an option. Did tubes arrive ?

steve
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 10:56:05 PM »

I am totally confused..............here is what you posted

"I need, and have not been able to find:
24V muffin fan, size 80 x 80 x 25. I need one that is really really quiet. Durability is an issue, so dual ball bearing or fancy bearing preferred. A low speed motor is fine. I am using a 2500 rpm motor now, which replaced a 4000 rpm unit. I could probably get by with 1200 rpm without adverse effect. Suggestions please, brands, stores, and suggestions. I can't run a pair of 12V fans, and AC fans are out."

This implies you have a 24 volt source and need a 24 volt fan. I suggested a common 12 volt fan and a 7812 to knock the 24V down to 12. This absolutely would work to replace a 24volt fan with a common 12 volt one.

Confused...........

Ed

Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 01:37:00 AM »

Ed, Nothing to it. I installed the regulator. BUT when I went looking for any 12V fan in my treasure trove of stuff, I didn't have any. Wanting to test the now regulator controlled circuit, I installed one of the 24V fans. Nothing happened. 12V wouldn't turn the fan at all. I still need to run to the store and buy a good 12V fan. All I said was I tried the fans I had on hand. I'm sure a 12V fan will work just fine. I don't need much airflow as the amp runs cool enough stood up on end with no fan at all. Chimney effect. A pro amp in a home environment is pretty much just idling along. I'm using the amp for its voltage swing ability rather than for current. It's not breaking a sweat. I can't use a Class D amp so I'm running Class H and it works great. No clipping at any volume level.

So the 12V fan goes in as soon as I catch a break. I'm too busy lately.

steve
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 08:55:26 AM »

Steve, got it. I'd not have expected 12v to run a 24v fan but no harm in trying.

Why not order one from E Pay? There looks to be plenty of them to choose from, easier than driving to store Wink Hell, maybe there is a 24v to be found there?

I got those tubes, thanks!
Ed
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 09:11:31 AM »

Ed, they are a fairly new matched quad. They were in my buddy's C-J. Wrong tube. He needed EL34 instead. These worked but couldn't bias.I retubed the amp and all is good. I don't need any tubes except for 13EM7 which is an old TV tube.  The GG never was replaced. Maybe a stock Masterpiece someday.
Maybe somebody can use 34L tubes

steve
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:59:58 PM by Steve F » Logged
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »

Problem solved. I found a 24V fan that only adds 12Db of noise. Inside the amp case, it's basically silent. Now all it has to do is keep the heat sink tunnel cool. Since I have yet to see the clip indicators flicker, it should work just fine.

steve
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: