The Hornshoppe Forum
August 19, 2017, 02:16:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Horned Heils and Vinyl  (Read 5469 times)
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« on: November 13, 2015, 01:18:02 PM »

Been thinking about riding this for a while.

Bought a cheap, used, old Wega JPS350 turntable and first a Nagaoka MI110, now changed to a Ortofon 520 MKII, due to compliance issues.

This cheap TT really has opened my eyes/ears to how great vinyl can sound.

Using the Horned Heils with an old ACI Sub, Ed's Truth, Bruce's T16 and EAR 834P, everything sounds sooooo indulging I really appreciate what people like Ed and Bruce offer. Forget Ultra High End stuff, and just enjoy live and the music. Voices and instruments sound so real.

Been listing to vinyl the past couple of nights almost every night.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:23:06 PM by Capt. Z » Logged
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:13:44 PM »

Hey Capt,

Start saving for Bruce's phono pre. It's phenomenal.

Steve
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 11:59:10 PM »

Hi Steve;

Thought about that a few times, but how goes Bruce's phono and the EAR differ sonically?

I assume the EAR is more romantic and Bruce's is more natural.

I like romance  Grin

Got a Shelter 501 that is very neutral, but gets no playing time. Anyone interested trading a more 'romantic' cart for the Shelter???

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:23:04 AM by Capt. Z » Logged
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 07:00:11 PM »

CaptZ,

I have listened to the EAR, and yes it is romantic. It also misses some detail. The TS has better dynamics, more detail, and is quiet. No contest.

Steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 03:09:53 AM »

Capt Z,
If you have a chance, listen to Dynavector.  I have a high output 20X2 and really like it.  It's a very smooth, but revealing cart.  It digs deep and goes high, but never sounds harsh or distorted.  Mine is on a high mass turntable with an Ortofon tonearm.  Also, it goes through a Hagerman phono preamp (tubes!).
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »

I keep looking for affordable low output mc cartridges. A long time ago I had a Denon. Make that a very long time ago. I have an old Fidelity Research that needs to be serviced. It was a very nice cartridge. These days it's AT 440 or Shure 97 moving magnet types. I have a flock of mc trannies, so I'd like to get another LOMC. And yeah I tend towards neutral. I don't use any tubes in my systems anymore except for Bruce's phono pre. I love it. I haven't found a solid state phono that comes close. There are a LOT of junk phono devices out there. Some are expensive too.

So cartridge recommendations?

steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 04:05:48 PM »

Hey Steve, the DL-103 seems to still be the cost leader.  For another few score, the 103R seems to have better reviews.  The issue may be that as you know, they aren't the most neutral.  Huh

Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 12:09:09 AM »

Hi Henry, Denon makes a good cartridge, no doubt about that. Zu Audio does a fancy rebuild of the cartridges, potting the whole shebang in an aluminum shell with some type of epoxy. I got a chance to listen to one in Cali at a show. I thought it was pretty good. They had one of their top speakers, the $12K+ Definition. It's a dual 10 in cast Eminence with whizzer cones, phase plugs, cone coating, plus an expensive horn tweeter. The amp was a Whammodyne? 2A3 based unit, which was pleasant sounding, but with high distortion. So not knowing the system at all, I couldn't tell if the cartridges are all that. I sure as hell am not going to buy a cartridge that costs more than a good used pickup truck. I miss the days of $350 world class cartridges. The ones in the magazines are crazy priced.

steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 05:23:13 AM »

Hey Steve, I have a problem with Zu in that they take a $379 DL-103R and potentially turn it into a $1200 cartridge.  They grade the carts into five categories by measurements.  The issue I have is that they double the price of the low grade to the highest grade with no effort.  Those carts were showing those characteristics from the factory (e.g., separation).  So, they grade them and without doing anything other than measuring, Zu reaps easy money.

So, they put a nice machined body on a good cart and then start the money grab by grading them.  Tongue
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 10:51:01 AM »

Hi Henry, I agree completely. Tha Zu Denon repackage might be good. But... Denon is not a shady company. I really doubt that their quality control is less than excellent. I don't see how many different  grades are audible. Maybe a standard and a select. Of course I'm the guy who says interconnects sound identical if well made. That doesn't mean I'm turning in my audiophile card anytime soon.

The audio business is a strange place.

Steve
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: