The Hornshoppe Forum
June 29, 2017, 05:23:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY silencer vs. commercial!  (Read 1260 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: September 18, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »

Well, went to my buddy's house around the corner. He, like me, sees no need to shoot rifles that make noise anymore and went to the expense and wait to make sure he does not have to. He has one of these...
http://www.advanced-armament.com/762-SD_p_649.html

I, on the other hand have a DIY Maglite built with freeze plugs and the permission of the ATF.

We shot both on his .308 with subsonic ammo.

The length, weight and performance is virtually identical on the same rifle with the same ammo. Mine can be built for under a hundred bucks. On my .22 Savage bolt action  the bullet hitting steel at 100 yds is louder than the report. As Kenny said "that is crazy".

I have less in my .22 rifle, the silencer and the tax stamp (under 500 for ALL) than the AAC silencer costs by itself, then you need the 200 dollar stamp and a rifle! Best part is that the silencer I built is .30 caliber and is what it was designed for. The fact is hushes the .22 to nothing is a great bonus!

My 245 grain AAC Blackout loads out the AR were about the same level as his 150 grain .308 bolt action.

I realize many will find this boring or crazy but for those of you who shoot and live in a silencer possible state I can not stress how great the benefits are. Reduced blast, even with full power ammo, increased velocity in most cases and increased accuracy. I know some think the accuracy suffers but I have several articles in magazines stating the opposite. Oh, and I've shot my rifle with and without with several different types of loads as well as the .22 with and without and can say for a fact it sure as Hell does not hurt the accuracy.

There is so much misinformation about silencers it's mind boggling. Who the Hell would drive a car w/o a muffler? You could always wear ear muffs when driving , right? Why should we be forced to risk damage to our hearing when the solution has been around since Maxim invented them?

Happy Trails.
Ed

tooppy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »

I won't fire anything without a silencer.
On rimefire virtually anything can work, you can DIY with pvc tube, metal mesh etc... in fact the cheapest works as fine.
When you get into the 300 game calibers some of those things have been flying away at the first shot, you need here something more serious, but not a 400€ BS !!!
Less recoil, less noise, no flame, you gain everywhere, as far as accuracy is concerned, it is not what matter, look for consistency instead and correct your settings if any need to be.
In England they make some very serious silencers which do not cost and arm and a leg :
http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/index.html
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 05:30:09 PM »

Hey Toopy, you nailed it! I assume you do not live in the USA? In the US simply taping a plastic bottle on the end of a .22 can get you in prison and a 250K fine if the wrong person sees you! I spent the 200 bucks to make it completely legal. How weird is it that we have the loosest laws by comparison and over the pond you can just buy one...at a sane price.

Mine is built for .30 caliber and works fine on the 300AAC Blackout with subsonic handloads....makes full power loads ear safe, just barely. On the .22 while not optimum I doubt it is possible to get better. One thing is for sure, on the .22 it makes it silent and the rifle will stuff 10 shots into a ragged hole at 25 yds. It's bizarre to shoot something and have the sound of the impact be louder than the rifle! I love it. Can't wait to fill the freezer with squirrels and rabbits for HFest 2016....assuming we have it.

It's so good on the .22 I'm not going to unscrew it to put on the 300AAC anytime soon, it's sighted in, stupid accurate, and I'm still working on loads for the 300AAC when I can.

Silence is golden!
Ed
tooppy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 03:16:14 PM »

Ed
May I suggest you don't leave it screwed on the barrel. Take it off after use otherwise chemical and condensation are going to screw up your barrel and it doesn't take long, few months only.
Here we aren't allowed to hunt with it, only shooting in a stand but that's where it is the most useful, when you get a bunch of gunners around, you get home and will never hear your horns anymore.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: