The Hornshoppe Forum
October 22, 2017, 06:36:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: lightning strike!  (Read 888 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:01:05 PM »

Our location seems to be prime lightning territory. Several trees in the yard have been hit over the years and it always is close when storming. Yesterday it was storming and I was checking out stuff but stopped when the lightning started. Checking email and I heard the "click" and knew instantly (in a microsecond) what was coming...... KA BOOM! The click and the boom were almost simultaneous, I'm sure it hit in the yard but have not seen it yet. If you're close enough to a strike you'll hear the click and almost instantly the boom. You'll never forget it. I've heard it many times at our place. Pulled up in the yard one time in a storm and was getting ready to dash for the door......as I opened the door  and was getting ready to dash and I saw the bolt hit behind the house.... the "click boom" was what actually scared the shit out of me. I got right back in my Faraday Cage and lightened to the radio for a while.

So I jumped up and unplugged everything expecting more. Nope, that was it.

Oh and it took out an output buffer in my pre amp! I expected more damage to stuff but all was good except that. I do not know how it could happen since the lights never even flickered...it hit a tree or the ground out front. Our power wires are buried stupid deep in the back yard.

Our auto gate opener was destroyed 2 times and I gave up.....

Pre amp repaired and all is "normal" again.
Ed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: