The Hornshoppe Forum
June 27, 2017, 05:12:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Naked Truth vs Godzilla  (Read 5802 times)
Steve F

View Profile Email
« on: May 07, 2015, 12:43:04 PM »

Nobody's said much about the NT preamp these days.

I was getting bored, not a bad thing. Yesterday was a tough one. I went back to my equipment shelf and decided to play a movie at live levels that still would sound good. I grabbed my NT, a Crown XLS amp and hooked them up to the Horns. I grabbed the newest Godzilla flick poured a drink and sat down to watch my favorite actor trash a few cities.

There is like no reason to own a HT receiver. If the NT ain't the best preamp out there, for sure it is in the top five. Getting absolutely blown away by the sound. Wow. Just thought I'd share. If you were here, I'd even share the booze. Laid back days are great.

Steve   Cool
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 02:04:50 PM »

I have the regular Truth and the T16 from Bruce. With the GHH the sound gets just more real as the volume goes up, no strain, no distortion, just musical pleasure.

johnnycopy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:26:43 PM »

I have the regular truth as well. Best pre i have ever owned, and i have had a ton.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 10:57:32 PM »

I have two favorites. The Naked Truth and Morrison ELAD. Keep swapping them out. The NT is a bit sweeter on top. The Morrison has better bass. They both have image and depth like crazy. I'd like to compare both to a Pass B1. They are both a bit better than the Grounded Grid. Haven't heard a Masterpiece yet. In any case I won't part with either. Another contender might be a Benchmark pre/DAC unit.

Guys, I was just at AXPONA while visiting Chicago. Ed has nothing to worry about. There are a lot of super expensive pieces of gear out there that don't come close to any of the preamps I've mentioned. Come to think of it, there aren't a whole lot of speakers that are better than the Horns either. You will spend at least triple to beat 'em. ( Iv'e got the only room in America the Horns don't like. A downside of moving.)

Steve

Edit: considering modern sources, preamps really don't need to boost a signal. They need to buffer it. Amps like to see a very low impedance signal . The signal from the preamp should be really low. Like 30 Ohms or less. Something Ed's products do very well.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:13:55 PM by Steve F » Logged
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 05:21:36 AM »

I have three good preamps.  I like the Grounded grid.  I really like Jim Hagerman's Clarinet.  I really, really like the Truth.   Smiley
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 02:39:55 PM »

Henry, no experience with Hagerman products. Lots of people say nice things about them though. I have a Threshold pre to try out soon.

My modded GG was a fail. I ended up giving it to my kid. I'm too lazy but way too busy to build a TS Masterpiece. I like to have a good tube pre in the house, and I don't. When I do speaker work for people, some like tube voicing. Not building anything right now, except a project for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: