The Hornshoppe Forum
October 22, 2017, 06:37:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ed, The Beast, the GHH's and me  (Read 1699 times)
bb1959

View Profile Email
« on: May 07, 2015, 12:10:42 PM »

Quick shout out to Ed...he has come through...again!!!

FW F3>Truth>GHH.  Got the amp bug.  Found out Ed had built The Beast for someone and it was available.  Had read lots of positive reviews (including Ed's) about Transcendent Beast (have the phono amp from Bruce).  Couldn't scratch that itch...had to have that damn thing...bad!

Long story short...got the Beast on Saturday, hooked it up and wow!!  As good as I thought my F3 was, these monoblocks are stunning!  So good in fact I turned that mofo up to 11...hell, make that 20!  I was playing Dire Straits Money for Nothing...never heard anything like it before...so real.

It was then that I smelled something burning...coming towards my right speaker.  Yes, that's right, fried that beeaatch.  Half the tubes in the Beast but I like it loud!  Apparently too loud.

By Wednesday, I had another driver that Ed sent to me...put it in and I'm back in bidness (that's how we talk in Texas).

Thanks for everything Ed...you da man!!

Brooks
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »

You fried the Beast with some GHH???

Shocked Shocked Shocked
bb1959

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 02:33:53 PM »

other way around.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 02:39:30 PM »

Sounds like the opposite Capt Z.  As good as the Fostex 126en is, you can fry them. The Horns have hit about 102-105 Db in my old room. If you really crank them you will end up buying a new driver or two. Heils can melt down too, but aren't likely to if Ed's series crossover is used. (300WPC amps will fry them, as I learned the hard way)

@Brooks, I use the TS Phono pre too. It might be the best tube pre in the biz. I love it.

Steve
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 06:10:50 AM »

Sorry, misread your post.

YEAH, It's very tempting to turn the GHH up to live levels. Sound is just too good.
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »

A few years ago I cooked a pair with a gainclone. That amp will never bother anyone again...John

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: