The Hornshoppe Forum
November 22, 2017, 03:59:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Synergy: The system is more than the parts!  (Read 3987 times)
Lee

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »

I've been meaning to post something here for quite a while. My music system is now 9.9999 of what I could ever want and I have Ed to thank for it. In the last six years it has evolved into something that I would put up against any other hi-end system and in fact many live performance venues and come away smiling.

A brief history. I started with a set Ed's horns six years ago. I live in Scotland, so even though the amount of money Ed charges for his creations is absurdly reasonable, having them shipped over here still took a leap of faith. ... They arrived without a scratch and immediately began making some fine sounds with my Dayens Ampino amp. Not too long afterward, I upgraded the Fostex drivers and was a happy man. Then the Truth pre-amp came out and I switched over to The Dayens Ampino Power Amp, again with a nice improvement.  I also added the Foxtex Super Tweeters about then.

Then Ed married the Heil AMT's to the Horns. WOW!!! Progress again. Big leap. ... Goodbye to the SuperTweeters, Hello Heils!

Then Nelson Pass released the design for his Amp Camp Amp, which seemed a marriage made in heaven for the Horn / Heils. Now we are getting into some very serious sounds.

But the best was yet to come. Last year Ed recommended the Boozhound crossover, running four mono Amp Camp Amps, one each for each of the Fostex and Heil drivers. The musicians are now in the room. Scarily so many times. And soundtracks are equally, chillingly impressive. I was listening to Life of Pi a few nights ago and I jumped when the tiger appeared, I mean like it was dangerous, fight or flight! More immediate than I'd heard in the cinema. And this is stereo, not surround sound. The thing is, though, that it is VERY immersive. And music of every sort is there, right there in the room, often beyond the boundaries of the room and the speakers themselves.

I should also say that I'm running the system with a BK 400xxl sub and the source is Stanley Beresford's new Caiman II DAC played from a Mac Mini using Fidelia software.

A few years ago I was lucky to source a second pre-owned pair of Ed's horns that are now in my bedroom. Due to the better acoustics in that room, they sound amazing as well, but not quite as good as the full Monty in the living room. ... yet! I'm in the final stages of duplicating the main system in the bedroom. Horns and Heils are in place, Pass Amp Camp Amps working its magic. I have one of Ed's cubes in there as well. Ed is now set to build the Boozehound Crossover and the matching pair of Amp Camp Amps to complete the duplicate system. ... If I didn't think I'd reached as close to perfection as I ever I could dream of owning, I wouldn't have gone the extra mile of building the second system. I'm not a rich guy by any means, but for the money Ed charges, even someone on a teacher's salary like me can piece it all together.

A few months ago I stopped by a very hi-end audio shop in London and they were auditioning what I was told was the only pair of Focal Grande-Utopias being shown in the UK, with all Naim source and amplification. $350,000+ system. It sounded excellent, as it should for that kind of money. But it also took up a great part of the room it was being demoed in. Suffice it to say, even if I had a room large enough to hold the Focals, I wouldn't trade my system for theirs. The Hornshoppe/Heil/Pass/Beresford/BK/Boozhound System really is that good!!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:31:51 AM by Lee » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: