The Hornshoppe Forum
October 22, 2017, 06:36:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old product new topic  (Read 1507 times)
Steve F

View Profile Email
« on: January 30, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »

Every now and then I look back at old school technology. I try to duplicate and learn from those who preceded us. Mostly with speakers.

My ESLs sucked; of course so do some big ticket commercial models. My last project was building a pair of omnidirectional speakers using Hegeman/Morrison ideas and Ohm/Walsh ideas too. I got those to work, but felt they were too 'homogenized' sounding. I did manage to ruin some nice spare drivers, including a few donated by Henry. Have saws, glue, clamps, and all kinds of interesting scrap materials to play with.

Which leads me to.... Of all things, piezoelectric tweeters. Because Ed added Heils to his Horns, and they are really good except I want a bit more vertical response, I tried to mess with that. I tried planar dipole and monopole speakers, horn loaded domes, a couple of lenses I cast myself, etc. most didn't have the punch I wanted to go alongside the Horns. In my garage, the land of a bay full of misplaced audio parts, I came across a box full of piezo tweeters. I don't even know why I saved them. I try to give old drivers away so others can play with them. But damn, these things work well with the Horns. Not the junk brands, but CTS and a couple others. I'm going to build a few crossovers, measure results, and report. After all the BS I've heard about piezos being harsh, I'm getting very different results. Later

Steve
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »

Hey Steve, don't forget the series resistor! I could not remember the common values so I just found this instead.....
http://donklipstein.com/pzfix.html
Ed
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »

Ed,

If an amp needs them for stability, about 22ohms works fine in series. To use them in a normal crossover,  add a parallel 8 Ohm resistor. Then you can treat it more or less like a normal crossover. Perhaps the best thing to do is pick drivers of similar efficiency and roll off. The Fostex matches work well SPL wise, but need to be rolled off early.. Hey, it's fun.

steve
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:20:13 PM »

I've been fooling around with piezos and Horns for awhile now. Over a month. I'm surprised they work so well together. So are a couple of audiophiles I know. One said "A car radio speaker & a fake tweeter, I can't believe it." And that's in the only room in America that Horns just don't synch with. I love breaking down some of these preconceived notions about what works and what doesn't in audio land.

steve   Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: