The Hornshoppe Forum
October 22, 2017, 06:37:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boozhound active xover...!  (Read 2551 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: May 23, 2014, 05:08:23 AM »

Well, the stars have aligned again. With the adoption of the Amp Camp Amps into my system I have been pretty happy. I also have several sets of them and the Classe' chassis to hold a few pair.

Jason, kindly sent me a pair of his xovers to try. I was missing a couple caps so I only got one channel going yesterday. I have everything set up and ready to stuff them into the second one as soon as they show up....today, probably.

The xover adds no noise or hum.....still dead silent.

So, what's the verdict? I doubt I'll run the GHH's passive again anytime soon, if ever. it's hard to judge with just one channel but it sure seems the dynamics are even better, seems "smoother".....it's all good!

As with the ACA's, I have no idea how the GHH will be with other amps/preamps and the BH xovers but in my system they seem to be perfect partners. Full report when both channels are up....hopefully later today.

I know you all would like to know the xover freq. but I have been advised that to give out the numbers and values might "help my competitors" so I will only give out the values to those who purchase the BH xovers from me. If you get them elsewhere I can't help you.

Hahahahahahahah..............had you didn't I? Y'all know me better than that. I don't play those games.
The starting point I chose is 2,100. This may change but I think it safe and it sure does sound balanced.
The way they are set up I think it might be very easy to make provisions for easily changing resistors.....Jason, are you hearing me Smiley

I have always shied away from active xovers because of the complexity and the requirement of having multiple amps. It's been literally decades since I hooked one up. The ACA's and Boozhound Labs have made it both easy and very, very cost effective. I now feel it's worth the effort and expense. Having 4 of the same amps and then them being really, really good and inexpensive makes this too good to pass on. Couple that with the cost of the BH and, WHAM! Done deal!

More to come!
Ed
I found a good p/s too! Jason does have a BH power supply but I've not tried it. I imagine it's good!

sonic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »

it sure seems the dynamics are even better, seems "smoother".....it's all good!
That's consistent with my observation of active crossover system.  Smiley
because of the complexity and the requirement of having multiple amps.
Good things come with the price, as they say.  Wink
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 07:35:13 AM »

Sonic I agree!

Ok, guys, if you have the Horn/Heils and the ACA's do not hesitate, order a second set of amps and the xovers from Jason. Do not wait, do not even think about it......you've got a Visa card.

You need the same amps for the Horn and Heils to have the sensitivities match. The 126 and Heil are good to go as is, no attenuation needed!

While the series xover I use is as simple as it gets with as little loss as possible it still does contain a coil and cap. There is a little insertion loss but nothing compared to most crossover networks that are a parallel type or with higher slopes.

The active does allow the Heil to go lower but for safety I'd probably not go much below 2K.
At 2,100 the integration is seamless and the dynamics have indeed improved.

I'm extremely pleased.
Ed
Bbakertx
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 07:30:26 AM »

Good news Ed.

I am using XXXXhz as my xover point (can't be giving away my OB info either  Cheesy )
(well, it's 1600hz)

The BH power supply is quite good too, plus it's fun building his kits
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:18:05 PM »

Hey Brad, I too have settled on 1600hz. While we have completely different systems 1600 seems like a good place for me too.

I built  the xovers with screw terminals on the xover resistor pads so that Lee will be able to easily change the point. I'm going to add them to mine. It's nice to be able change the slope easily. Resistors are cheap (even really good ones) and easy.

If a fellow has 4 channels of identical amplification and the GHH's this is the way to go.

But say you just have stereo amps of different type and makes or the drivers are not close enough in sensitivity? Well, that could be fine too if the xover had a way to adjust the output of one or both the sections or the gain of of the amps is adjustable.

I have too much to get finished before I can experiment with modifying the BH xover so that the output is easily  adjustable.......should not be difficult but time is at a premium and experimenting takes time!

Simply being able to control the output of one or both sections of the xover will make it much easier to get levels between the drivers right in the case of differing sensitivities or when used with different brand/type amps for each.

I got "lucky" because I have identical amps and the Horn and Heil sensitivities are so close.

More to come.
Ed

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: