The Hornshoppe Forum
October 22, 2017, 06:35:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Shigaclone CD Transport  (Read 11578 times)
audiostar

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:59:35 AM »

This is a cd transport only, needs a dac to function.  This has been improved to MK11 version.  For DIY kit building.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/120229-finally-affordable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story.html
audiostar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 11:34:56 AM »

Available for group buy.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/238895-shigaclone-new-gb-2013-a.html
audiostar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »

I recently discovered this Shigaclone story thread.  Therefore, I am the last person you should be talking to.  However this thread has been active for 6 years and covered 777 pages.  So why should you care about this transport?  Well, it is a labor of love.  It was a DIY transport project.  The Shigaclone has been forever tinkered with, modded, upgraded and worked on for a very long time.  Let me quote uncle_leon "it depends on the person.  To many, it was an inexpensive way to obtain a transport to rival high end when the boom boxes were available.  Some decided to take it further and the potential is there.  A well upgraded Shiga could sit proudly right next to some of the very best transport ever made."  The DIY community deserves a lot of thanks for their efforts.  Join the DIY fun and make your version of the Shigaclone.  Or you can order the kit.  Any questions post in the Shigaclone thread.
audiostar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »

The kit

main board 149 euro
shiga cd mechanic 12 euro
Aluminium cd puck 25 euro
transformer 19 euro
audiostar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »

vicol audio can provide the parts.  the high grade PCB is 399 euro vs standard 138 euro.  2 case are offered, 225 euro and 440 euro or buy your own.
http://www.vicol-audio.ro/shiga-mkII.php

with the world wide interest in the diyaudio threads this shigaclone is always upgraded.  See post #19 for current price.  You cannot get a better transport. here is the group buy.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/262744-new-gb-vicol-shiga-transport-mkii.html
tone deaf

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 11:58:30 AM »

The Shiga story,
           Once upon a time, in a land far away, there was a transport named Shigamaki, or Shigahokee, or Shiga something. Anyway, it was a really nice sounding Japanese Transport. Then some one found out that the same CD mechanics and Chip set was used in a big JVC Boom Box. Now, Let the games begin. Some one gutted one of the boom box's and made a transport out of it. A bunch were made with different mods made until a completed unit with all the best mods was made, and then a bunch of mad men ( and possibly mad women ) made a bunch of them, and the Shiga Clone was born and now a pretty good transport for not a lot of money. Now steps in to the picture a Romanian engineer that goes by the name of Tibi. He really didn't change the circuit design, I don't think. But he did redesign the circuit brd to function better, with thicker traces, and provisions to add a lot of upgraded parts, like a Tent Labs oscillator,  high quality voltage regulators in 4 places, and he has tested numerous parts in pretty much all the positions to find what works best in each case. It made this transport go from a really nice sounding transport into a unbelievable sounding transport. But then he decided to experiment with a few parts on the actual CD mechanics. Jackpot! replaced 3 chip caps with high quality counterparts, and bypassed a little pot with a high quality cap, and Oh man, does this thing sing. It's being said that it will be hard to beat this transport, with anything out there. Get them while you can. Last group buy is ending in December. No more full kits. These one will be all built and tested brds. Get the high grade one. It's more money, but worth every penny. Good Luck.
audiostar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »

For those who can pay more in the future there will be a finished product by vicol audio.  price?
Quantum-a CD transport based on Shiga MKII.
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »

It made this transport go from a really nice sounding transport into a unbelievable sounding transport.
How did the listener figure that out?
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »

Okay guys, help me out. I don't get it. A digital transport that sounds better than another? I could see more reliable, quieter, looks cool, but I don't get sounds better. Can you elaborate a bit as to how and why?

I am not being cynical. I really want to understand the concept.

steve
tone deaf

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »

Why would two transports sound different?  Different Laser pickups, and mechanics. Different parts like capacitors and resistors. A cheap oscillator instead of a dedicated circuit to do that job. Different designs? Could be a million things. But Vicol Audio took a very good sounding set of chips and CD mechanics redesigned the board to work at its best, and then painstakingly  went through each part to determine what part would sound best or make an improvement in that position. A lot of work and engineering went into this project. But when he decided to experiment with the parts on the actual CD mechanics it got even better. So a good design and all the best parts Vs a good design and cheap parts, or a poor design with good or bad parts? The thing is, if you had to buy this as a finished product from a big company and had to pay for all of the R & D and  corporate salaries it would cost you 20K+. As a do it yourself project it cost way, way less but you have to do all the work of packaging it. But then it looks like you want it to. A win, win.
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 06:40:41 PM »

to determine what part would sound best or make an improvement in that position.
What process do they use for figuring out the sound quality?
tone deaf

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »

to determine what part would sound best or make an improvement in that position.
What process do they use for figuring out the sound quality?

Ears???
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 07:57:57 AM »

I started doing some homework about transports. Most of the pundits claim that jitter is the factor that determines the sound of a transport. Some even try to measure it. That's no easy task according to a couple of engineers. One well known writer has been getting it wrong for years.

I strongly suspect that the only time a transport might be audible, is when something is wrong. Poor design, accidental or deliberate, or defective parts.

I'm not saying don't build a transport. That's a great project. I just don't notice differences. I'm not sure if that makes me objective or deaf. My two systems are pretty good. Nobody else who has sat down and swapped CD units out has ever said "Wow, what a difference." I suspect that a lot of people are trying to mix up digital and analog. There are lots of tweeks that do nothing. Remember green markers, disc stabilizers, and pucks?

I'm working on a new speaker design right now, and simply don't have the time to build a transport. Maybe sometime next year someone could loan me one for a weekend. I'd love to have a couple of friends give it a listen. I try to keep an open mind, an will admit when I'm wrong.

Steve
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 09:16:06 AM »

Ears???
Obviously, but my question was on how it was done, not what was used.  So let me ask again, what process do they use for figuring out the sound quality?  You know, like double blind test, single blind test or just auditioning...etc.  Do you know which?
audiostar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »

sonic,

Here is the discussion about the sound of a transport.  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/172207-cdrom-cheapest-cd-transport-great-sound.html
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: