The Hornshoppe Forum
October 21, 2017, 05:20:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: "HornFest 2014"  (Read 8437 times)
johnnycopy

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 06:17:59 PM »

Guys:

Barring disaster, I plan on being there with single-ended VT52 amps.

Jim

can you tell us a little more about them Jim.

Thanks
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 10:22:34 PM »

We sure hope to see all our friends this year and some new ones. Right now there will be at least 5 of us that I know of.

The "Pink Room" sounds better than ever with the bed in there, especially with Tom Jones Smiley

Ed
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »

Poor Helen... not only do we invade the house, but now the bedroom.  Smiley

I'm guessing the mattress will be stuck on the back wall during the festival of Horn.  One giant bass trap.  Cool
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 09:42:54 PM »

Henry, no worries, Helen is fine, she'll bunk with Sid Smiley  The bed is a "Sleep Number Bed" and comes apart easily....mattress will go in Sid's room for me to sleep on ............no worries,  especially with just the 5 of us Smiley
Ed
mullman

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 05:19:21 AM »

I'll be there, wouldn't miss it !
homey

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 05:40:32 PM »

Let Me get this straight....5 men sitting on a big bed listening to Tom Jones on a stereo?

Do I really want to ride my motorcycle 3,000 miles & back to witness this?
 answer: Yes

well I had it in the plans, a friend of mine was going to join Me, We were going to ride Our
Deathtraps out to south carolina & then up to Maryland but shit happens, So I
will once again not be making it.
a friend of mine just past away & He shared the Shop with Me & now I need to clear out
all his junk (good junk included) because a new tenant is moving in soon, No way that I
can afford the rent on the entire building. 
He didn't leave any records or CD's but I ended up with over 2000 DVD's! seems He was
a movie-holic, oh yeah, He did leave an old 8 track player & some tapes!

I was looking forward to seeing the old Hornshoppe Wrecking crew (what's left of It) & to
check out Ed's Truth, Since I still have not listened to music through a Truth. damn it.
take care Y'all.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »

I have to work Friday morning.  But come high noon, I'll be heading south.  Wink

Can't wait to see you guys again.
GorK

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 04:00:53 AM »

Let Me get this straight....5 men sitting on a big bed listening to Tom Jones on a stereo?

Karen Carpenter too.

tony

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 04:53:29 AM »

Hi Ed, just wanted to let you know I'll be coming Saturday afternoon. I will bring chili, because the more fireworks the better. Weather is supposed to be nice for the weekend, can't wait.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 08:23:22 PM »

Homey, that is bad news but you can fly out and visit anytime, of course.

Tony, can't wait.

Guys, my system has never been better except maybe with the GM 70. I have built a gain stage for the Boozhound Labs phono stage and it is killer. The computer audio is working and none of you have ever heard the bass as clean and deep as it is now on all sources at my house. No doubt about that. You will be shocked.

I expect a small turn out but it will be the best sound we ever had.............not even a question about it.
If Jim brings something special we may have the makings of a couple epic listening sessions!

I have new diaphragms in the Heils and the subs are "invisible", you won't see them and you won't be able to localize them......and they kick ass beyond belief.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon!
Ed
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 05:14:01 AM »

As always we (living far away or working) would like to see/hear some video of some of the listening session.

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Bbakertx
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »

Ed, where did you buy invisible buckets?    Wink

How much gain did you add to the Boozhound for working with the Truth?
I'll be in that same situation once I finish building the power supply.

Sounds like you guys are going to have a great time this weekend.
I'll toast you with a microbrew from Lone Star Audio Fest Saturday.

Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 10:57:15 AM »

Hey Brad, they came from "Acme" Smiley. They are well hidden and you can't find them by listening. Sidney actually said last night.....not kidding...."are those bucket things on, that is the best that bass guitar has ever sounded on anything". I do not know what the song/group was. I was looking up fork seals and she and Helen were in the back listening to music!!!!! She just walked in and asked the question and made the comment! Hell, she lives here, was in the room  and came and asked me if they were in there and hooked up!!!!

What is equally as odd is that my AR table and Shure cart. sound crazy good and there is not a hint of bass feedback at ridiculous levels! I swear, this system is sounding really, really good even with computer music!

Now, I "calculated" the gain stage to have 10db of gain but this is not really my area......I have built this device before,  a long time ago. Funny thing is that then I was not actually using it for gain although it had tons but rather for the buffering!!!!

It seems to work beautifully with the BH and Truth and the combo has more than enough gain. At wide open there is some hum. The good news is that I really mean wide open, a condition you will never experience. At very loud to excessive volumes the combo is silent with the needle off the record. If I reduced the gain a little and I may, it should be silent at wide open and still be plenty loud enough and louder than any one is likely to listen to a record. Think of it this way.....at "10" right now it is silent....however, it has the ability to go to "11" but after "10" it gets a little hum. Keeping in mind that "normal" is always "10". I set the Truth up to be able to run wide open against the stop and be loud enough but not clip. The BH and GS just have enough output to get into clip territory and hum. No big deal.

The real "problem" is that it requires a +/- 15 volt supply.....this means you can't just "add it on" without another p/s. That said, if you build it you can use 1/2 of the +/- 15 volt supply to power the BH!

It's worth the trouble and extra money and I'll work with everyone to get their BH the gain stage for pretty much cost of parts, shipping, and tips Smiley

I do not know if everyone needs the extra gain but with the BH you only have 30 or so and you need a pretty high output cart. The GS fixes that.

Hope this helps.........

Here is a pic of the thing I threw together yesterday to get it all in a box for the weekend. I have had no time to build myself stuff,  been trying to get stuff done before the weekend, but I had to put that mess in a box!

The inputs to the GS are on the left.....the outputs are the yellow and red plugs that are plugged into the free hanging RCA's. The RCA's are the input to the BH. The outputs are the jacks to the right on the chassis. This way I can plug in different gain stages easily or use the BH alone.......and I was in an extreme hurry to "git 'er done".

Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »

Will be arriving Friday afternoon for weekend festivities! Anything in particular I should bring?
DowdyLama

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 07:47:16 AM »

Guys:

So sorry to have to send regrets yet again - some things have come up that will keep me in Atlanta this weekend.

Have fun,

Jim
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: