The Hornshoppe Forum
June 27, 2017, 05:03:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New NT owner in Houston  (Read 12431 times)
Bbakertx
« on: February 21, 2014, 08:49:52 AM »

Ed hooked me up with a 3 input Naked Truth.
Using it with the ACA monos, or a DIY TPA3110d2 amp (both have their advantages)
Sources are a Teac UD-501 DAC fed by a custom Win2012 server and an Audio-Technica LP-1240/AT440mla turntable (soon to have a Boozhound phono stage)

This thing just gets out of the way and lets the details come through.  The rhythm/timing/pace is superb - just lets the music flow.
It is easy to get lost in the music and look up to realize the album is over.

Great work, Ed  Cool

I will have my system at Lone Star Audio Fest this year (First weekend in May, in Dallas) if anyone wants to check out the NT, or other components.
jimcant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:24:32 AM »

Hey Brad,

I thought your name was known to me from elsewhere Smiley

I joined up here after reading your post, as I had a question for you.

You have listed your gear, but not the speakers you are using with them.

Ed turned me on to the Boozhound Labs phono pre as well, and is currently building
one for me, I hope Wink
He was also pretty enthusiastic about the Amp Camp amps, which I had never heard of before now,
but am now mildly intrigued about, as well as how they would go with the speakers I have, which
I think you would be familiar with.

I also have one of the second favorite around here, tube preamps and considering whether
a version of the Truth is something to consider in the future Undecided

So many equipment choices, so little time Grin

Cheers,
Jim
Bbakertx
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »

Hey Jim,

I'll send you a PM.   
Since, I'm not CURRENTLY using Ed's Horns, I didn't want to post about my speakers here, out of respect to Ed.
(It's a DIY project)

I'll be ordering the Boozhound phono on Friday.

Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »

Guys, this is an open forum. I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference between blatant disrespect and useful information. I sure hope I never put forth the idea unless you owned our stuff you should remain silent!
Ed
Bbakertx
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »

I didn't take it that way, Ed.
And I DO own "your stuff" now....in addition to being a former Horn owner.

I have tried more combinations of equipment than I can recall, just to experience what's out there.

Since the Horns are your main product, and this is your place, I do respect that.
And although I've been around audio for a long time, I'm a new member here, so will tread lightly until I get to know the folks and they get to know me.

The DIY project is open baffle, using a dipole AMT-style tweeter, about 94db, and a 15" mid-woofer, about 96db, crossed at about 1900hz.
Plus two 15" OB subwoofers per side, and/or two of Ed's bucket subs, driven by a Crown XLS amp.

The OB is roughly the same sensitivity as the Horns, or Horns w/Heil.
So the amps I'm working with should partner well with it.

The ACAs are great amps, even just driving the temporary Pioneer '41 bookshelves I'm using.
The TPA3110 amp has better bass, but isn't quite as linear as the ACAs.
The NT's clarity allows for easy comparison.

Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:06:57 AM »

As in much of life, all is not always wonderful. Brad's NT has a problem in the LED circuit and will be coming back for repair. It looked like it was the potentiometer gone bad but it's something odd. I suspect I got a bad batch of LED's. I got 100 cheap and found a dead one! That maybe should have been a hint!

Anyway, in the interest of "honesty" I figured I let you guys know I'm not perfect and maybe every now and again a snafu will happen. There are ~60 out there now and except for a failed remote unit this is the only issue I'm aware of. I've had only a couple issues since I built the first one and it's never burped. This is why I offer the lifetime warranty, I am confident they will last. Smiley

I'll report back when the issue is resolved! And it will be.
Ed
Bbakertx
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 12:55:31 PM »

Was that a preemptive strike, Ed?    Cheesy

Sh*t happens.  It'll get fixed.  I didn't ever have any doubt you would stand behind your product.
Just frustrated because when it's working, the sound is fantastic, and I want to keep listening. Cry   (wah)

Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »

Hey Brad, a preemptive strike, very funny, you know better than that! Smiley

All kidding aside, you made a very nice post about the NT but the reality is that you're having a problem. Shit does happen and I appreciate you allowing me to make it right! Is it reality to think that everything posted on a forum should be "positive"? I think not. It should be simply what is happening. Does not need to be insulting or mean but facts are facts.

You were happy, it is messing up, you're allowing me to make it right, why not let others know how I roll? Smiley
Why have others bash me when I can bash myself!

Also, I know for a fact you'd not make a post that you were having an issue. Now would you? Nope. Not unless you were to get screwed and then it would be appropriate. With that in mind I felt like folks should know stuff does happen but I'll always make it right.
Ed
Bbakertx
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 07:21:46 AM »

Just to follow up on this:

Ed has resolved the issue with the preamp, and it is back to singing (and doing that quite well)
Bbakertx
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »

Thought I'd follow up again after the LSAF show.
Had a good show, and I think the clarity of the NT had a lot to do with the sound.
It's tough getting good sound in an Embassy Suites room.
I probably adjusted the speakers and the furniture about 20 times the first day.
Sound had settled in by noon or so on Saturday.
System played from 9am to about 2am that day   Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: