The Hornshoppe Forum
November 21, 2017, 10:33:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottlehead DAC  (Read 20898 times)
audiostar

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2014, 11:42:23 AM »

John Swenson has been working on this DAC since July 9 2009.  The Bottlehead community have been waiting forever for this DAC.  They are very close to finishing.  This will be a great DAC, a big bang for the buck DAC.  This will be a kit.
audiostar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:54:32 PM »

More info on John Swenson.

http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/john-swenson-articles-about-digital-audio/
audiostar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »

see the review by Superdad post #296.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/do-all-dacs-sound-more-or-less-same-18877/index12.html
audiostar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 03:23:53 PM »

You want to know why this could be a great DAC?  Read Bottlehead Forum.  Click on Digital.  Read all of the threads about the DAC starting with Taking orders.  read the rest of the threads.  John Swenson has worked long and hard on this project.  May he succeed.
johnnycopy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »

I have read it.

When is it going to be ready?
audiostar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »

Get in on the action.  DAC will not be a kit, selling for 1,550.00 hurry, the info is here.  get in on the first run.

http://bottlehead.com/product/bottlehead-dac/

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?board=50.0
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »

DAC will not be a kit, selling for 1,550.00 hurry
Why should anyone spend that much for a DAC when most of today's digital audio gears already have one built-in?
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 02:08:08 PM »

If you can't hear the difference, then you shouldn't spend that much...John 

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »

If you can't hear the difference, then you shouldn't spend that much...John 
If you or anyone who has heard the difference, what kind of difference was it?
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 03:00:47 PM »

I have not heard this one yet but I have great faith in John Swanson's ability. I have heard one of  his earlier DACs and it sounded great. The guy is a wizard with digital filters.

I mess around a lot with DACs, got a whole shelf of them and they all sound different. For commercial ones, my DDAC, an older NOS type is very smooth and easy to listen to but not the last word in definition. I have an ODAC, which for less than $100 sounds pretty damn good but when I first got it, I plugged it into my laptop and I was very disappointed, grainy sounding. Then I tried it with my Vortexbox and it sounded good. It gets its power from the USB and I heard others having problems. So I cut a USB cable and used a battery and it sounded good on the laptop, go figure. I have a Grant Fidelity DAC, that just sounds like crap (technical term), like a blanket over the speakers.

Then I have a vast collection of kits and boards from China. To try different types of chips and ways to use them. 

I am getting tired of two finger typing for now, is this what you meant?...John           

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »

I have not heard this one yet but I have great faith in John Swanson's ability. I have heard one of  his earlier DACs and it sounded great. The guy is a wizard with digital filters.

I mess around a lot with DACs, got a whole shelf of them and they all sound different. For commercial ones, my DDAC, an older NOS type is very smooth and easy to listen to but not the last word in definition. I have an ODAC, which for less than $100 sounds pretty damn good but when I first got it, I plugged it into my laptop and I was very disappointed, grainy sounding. Then I tried it with my Vortexbox and it sounded good. It gets its power from the USB and I heard others having problems. So I cut a USB cable and used a battery and it sounded good on the laptop, go figure. I have a Grant Fidelity DAC, that just sounds like crap (technical term), like a blanket over the speakers.

Then I have a vast collection of kits and boards from China. To try different types of chips and ways to use them.  

I am getting tired of two finger typing for now, is this what you meant?...John          
Good DACs should sound transparent, meaning that it shouldn't color the sound.  Most of today's DACs sound transparent and they can be had for very little or no (already built-in) money.  Ones that sound different (color the sound) aren't high-fi equipment.

By the way, when you listened to those DACs, did you listen to them at same volume level?
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 10:11:12 PM »

No, I played the good ones real loud, the crappy ones less so Cool...John 

Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 10:45:29 PM »

I'm with John here. I have 3 different ones here, all old "classics"....Aragon, Cal Delta Labs and an old Audio Alchemy. I have also had some "modern ones" on loan. The last being the ODAC. Gork discovered just like John that the p/s is important. I thought the thing sucked until I heard it with a powered USB hub, a major difference than just the lap top. It was like going from AM radio to FM.......

So, whether they should all sound the same or not, I think they don't. I do agree they should.

I think an analogy might be, you have 2 drivers, one aluminum, one Kevlar, they both have identical spec. to the limits of what we can measure. Who really thinks they will "sound the same"? Not me.

Discussion is good!
Ed
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 08:52:33 AM »

No, I played the good ones real loud, the crappy ones less so Cool...John 
Try this, set up any 2 DACs of the same model and play each at different volume level.  They will sound different.
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »

I think an analogy might be, you have 2 drivers, one aluminum, one Kevlar, they both have identical spec. to the limits of what we can measure. Who really thinks they will "sound the same"? Not me.
Some DACs do add color to sound thus sounding different.  Those are not high-fi thus not good audio gears.

As for the speakers, yes, they are the most variant part of electronic audio chain because they operate in physical realm.  Speakers and room acoustics are where it makes or breaks in reproduced sound system (DACs have been too back in the 80's but not any more).  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: