The Hornshoppe Forum
August 14, 2018, 04:21:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Horn Heils arrived: Questions  (Read 3818 times)
csm41

View Profile Email
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:48:34 PM »

I just got my GHH and the crossover from Ed. I have a few questions for all of you:

1) Where on the top of the Horns is the best mounting point? Middle forward, etc. I ask because of potential phasing issues.

2) The new crossovers that Ed designed are set up so the Horn and Heil are in series, is that correct? I ask because it seems that the horns play louder now with the new tweets. Wouldn't that effectively raise the impedence to 16 ohms?

3) Did anyone use some long screws and "bolt" the Heil to the Horn? I just don't want to use the stickers, seems a little hokey.

4) Where did you mount the crossovers?

The Heils really add something to the equation. Besides the extended top end, I hear a richer midrange and a smoother overall sound.

Mark
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:20:36 PM »

Hey Mark, sit them on top with the front edge even with the front edge of The Horn. Who knows about phase issues, we got a back loaded horn and a dipole (ok, I give, it's a dipole!) in a corner. I bet there are plenty of phase issues we can't hear Smiley If you set them up like that the VC on the 126 and the diaphragm in the Heil are in vertical alignment which seems like a good idea, looks "normal" and sounds ok.

The impedance change is difficult to predict and I've not measured it. It's probably close to 12 ohms but keep in mind the Heils are almost a pure resistive load, very easy to drive and so is the 126 in the Horns. They sure didn't seem to lose sensitivity, did they? Smiley

You better not poke holes in the Horns! Seriously, stick the feet on them, they are just to protect the Horns. They work fine. Use a very small drop of epoxy on the end of each metal warning plate, just outside the holes, to glue it in place. For looks. Just enough to hold it. You may need to pop it off one day, so don't go nuts gluing it down!

I don't think there is a good place to mount them. Mine sit behind the speakers on the floor. It is possible too cut a hole in the back of the Horn and mount the components to a cover plate, as I am now doing. If you can cut the hole I can use the components to go on to a plate to make them internal. I have the dimensions of the plate and hole if anyone is interested. I've not bothered to modify mine but all new pairs have the hole and plate "just in case".

Hope this helps and I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions to Marks questions!
Ed
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:39:15 PM »

Ed, you´ll never make Salesman of the Week that way!

Stickers instead of bolts reduce the Doppler effect -the recoil of the heavy 126 cone vs. the few pounds of Horn and Heil combined should not be underestimated.

On the other hand, not just gluing the crossover on back of the 126 is something you just do to make customers think you believe in voodoo.

Wink Pit
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »

You could put a bit of RTV silicone (used to hold aquarium glass together) to hold things down. Then the bond could be cut with a knife should you need to separate Horn from Heil.
I agree with Ed on placement. The Heils and Fostex line up very well.
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »

Placement is fine, as long as you place the Horns in your home.

Grin Sorry, but I couldn´t not post this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: