The Hornshoppe Forum
June 26, 2017, 11:56:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Horns have changed!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5658 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: October 02, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »

Well, after only 13 1/2 years I've made a change. Y'all know sometimes I can be a little slow to move on.

All new ones will have a removable access door on the back. The binding posts will be mounted to it. The door is big enough to mount all the xover parts for the GHH on it. It also has provisions for running just the 126 or using it with xover to form GHH. Using just a jumper and an extra set of posts accomplishes this. All new ones will be built this way but not with the xover or extra posts. It will be easy to add them later if one desires. This setup makes everything much neater and eliminates the external xover (duh!)

The other news is that black is now a possibility! Lacquer! Black Lacquer..........I always assumed it was not possible but I was wrong. They look really good.

Well, that's it for now.
Ed 
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:03:24 PM »

Ed, we may be starting a religion war here.
Passive parts belong outside.

Pit
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 06:42:38 PM »

Hey Pit, no worries, that is a sealed chamber isolated from any vibrations (I bet you knew that Smiley ). The stuff is not in the compression chamber, there should be no issues!
Ed
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:59:09 AM »

Even worse.
The stuff you use ought to be shown.
(Secret tip, if available in the US: some kitchen stuff from ikea looks pretty fine as external housing)

Don't tell.
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:05:35 AM »

Hi Ed;

Your title scarred me (first). Thought you changed the Horns. Nice touch to clean up the surroundings. I always get a kick out of people's picture like on Audio Asylum when they have this nice living space and expensive equipment, but wires running all over the place, which makes them look like they can not handle having a wife close by, because most wife's couldn't handle all that clutter and untidiness.  Grin
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 06:38:12 AM »

Okay, I've got a new blade in my saw. Where do I start?
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 07:39:16 AM »

...but wires running all over the place, which makes them look like they can not handle having a wife close by, because most wife's couldn't handle all that clutter and untidiness.  Grin

Ouch!!! (says the wife-less, childless, old man with multiple bucket subs and wires running all over the place) Cheesy
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 08:07:24 AM »

...but wires running all over the place, which makes them look like they can not handle having a wife close by, because most wife's couldn't handle all that clutter and untidiness.  Grin

Ouch!!! (says the wife-less, childless, old man with multiple bucket subs and wires running all over the place) Cheesy

If the shoe fits....  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »

If the shoe fits....  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Truth and reality are hard pills to swallow.  Grin
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 08:35:38 AM »

Well Henry, look at it from a positive perspective: If you don't want to be bothered by the  contentiously nagging of a spouse, all these wires may be a good 'contraceptive' Grin Grin Grin Grin

(I better keep my mouth shut now)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:44:01 AM by Capt. Z » Logged
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »

Even better: she won´t get near the boxes, so you have a good place to hide the whisky. Wink
el.exigente.2

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 04:10:09 PM »

I received a pair of the new Horns from Ed a few weeks ago - the ones with the crossover components already in-board. There are three pairs of binding posts on the back, which allows you to configure for just the Horns, or both Horns & Heils. I made a diagram that shows how it's done - see the attached. It's definitely the way to go!
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 01:11:59 AM »

Thanks for the professional drawing. Unfortunately I already hacked up my Morrow Speaker cable and placed the x-over in to the speaker cable, laying now behind the horns.

Didn't the original cross-over call for a 4,7 uf cap? Wouldn't a 5,6 uf cap make them sound pretty bright. I actually use a 3,9 uf cap. (just my preference)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 01:38:05 AM by Capt. Z » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: