The Hornshoppe Forum
August 19, 2017, 02:04:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can naked truth drive son of beast?  (Read 3011 times)
Steve F

View Profile Email
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »

The naked truth has no gain, and I don't know how much of the source's gain it actually loses. Can't be much though. So I'm wondering if it's suitable for Bruce's SOB amp. His site recommends using it with a preamp. Would this combo be an unhappy marriage?

Steve
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »

Steve, so long as your source has at least 2.5V there is no prob. I have SOB in the house.
Ed
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:38:35 PM »

Ed, Thanks. I knew that the SOB needs a bit extra (2.2) to max out. I've been in a SOB,Beastette, F5, or ... that's the short list.

I wish I could leave well enough alone. I was running a couple of different larger amps with the Horns, and for some reason, pulled the SEOTL off the shelf and put it in with both the Naked Truth and Morrison preamps. I guess there really isn't any way a tranny coupled amp matches up as well. I just want a bit more power than a watt and a half.

Which do you prefer?
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 12:49:10 PM »

Hey Ed,
Don't get an ulcer over the religion & politics page. I'm serious about my question here. Which TS or Pass F5 will be a strong match for the Naked Truth and Horns.

Guys, those of you with experience with these combinations, please chime in.

I feel the need to build an amp. Again.

Steve.   Cool
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 01:31:21 PM »

Steve, I liked the F5 Ed made and I'm accumulating the parts to build one.  I thought I could repurpose a chassis I had, but the heat sinks aren't large enough after a closer look.  Now I'm saving the pennies to buy a new chassis as those big heat sinks don't come cheaply.  The Horns sound really fine with the F5 for sure.  If you have a 4u chassis with big heat sinks lying around, all the better.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: