The Hornshoppe Forum
August 20, 2018, 09:18:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Biamping the GHH?  (Read 3306 times)
horizons59

View Profile Email
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:33:35 PM »

I would imagine the GHH would sound pretty good with a 4th order LR electronic xover around 1.2 KHz. Wouldn't this afford even more protection for the Heil driver?

Or is Ed's series crossover design more magical due to extensive driver overlap?

Removing the series xover would also allow users to power either driver with some of the better class D amps.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »

Horizons59, I don't really see any advantages in bi-amping the GHH's.  What most people don't realize is that the series crossover provides a pretty slick protection scheme for the Heil driver. The Fostex works for want of a better term, like a fuse. It will fail before the Heil can be damaged. Fe126en cones are cheaper than Heil diaphragms. It's also easier to notice that you are overdriving the cone. When the Heil gets damaged, I notice first that volume goes down, and then the diaphragm begins to destruct. They just don't distort much, even in heavy use.

The GHH is an easy load for any amp except for some class D units. I wasn't there (Hornfest) but there were some problems.

Oh, one more thing. The series crossover also helps lower the crossover frequency of the Heils. This is a good thing. Too many people seem to think that the Heil is a tweeter with some midrange capability. Not so, it is a very effective midrange driver also.

Just a bit of ranting on my part, but I have never heard a good multiway speaker that attempts to use drivers crossed over at higher than normal/necessary/sufficient frequencies to protect the drivers. I don't know of any "Big name" designers who do that.

Steve
horizons59

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:00:41 PM »

Thanks steve.
You know, I was listening to the GHH with the series Xover tonight and I have never heard better sound in over 35 years being an audiophile. I think Ed has found the end of my long audiophile journey.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 05:34:07 AM »

I want to add that in no way am I against biamping loudspeakers. My primary system was Linkwitz' Orions with subwoofers. That's four channels of active crossovers and multiple amps per channel.

The "beauty" of Ed's designs is that they can be approached in a building block system. Start with Horns, add a pair of subs, then save up for the Heils. The cost is the same as if you bought the GHH as a system. And it sounds great too.

Steve
homey

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 11:25:13 AM »

I have my GHH's bi-amped, but I am not using an electronic
X-over to do it.
I run my source into a Modwright tube Preamp that has TWO
sets of Outputs.
One Output feeds a First Watt F-1 Amp that feeds a pair of Hornshoppe mdl. II's
with a single paralleled cap.  I have the mdl II's wired in series @16ohms load because the F-1
puts out 9Watts @16ohm versus only 5 watts @ 4ohms.(parallel connected).

2nd Output feeds a Decware SE34i (EL34) Amp that feeds the Heils, That have a
cap & coil X-over.  I am not an expert on X-overs, but I thing it may be "series/Parallel?

The level of the two amps can be matched by adjusting the volume control on
the SE34i. 
Probably not the most transparent arrangement with TWO preamps involved, but the
Preamp section in the Decware amp is a very simplistic circuit with just one tube.

I have never listened to any other systems with the GHH's to compare the sound to, but
the sound I have now beats any other previous setups that I have tried with Hornshoppe
speakers, mdl 1's, mdl II's, mdl III's etc. Grin
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 01:28:33 PM »

Hmmm. I´m not a gambling man, so my bet are just the usual two cents -
Keep. The. Xover.
Ed may try not to look like the pointiest tack on the corkboard, but he knows what he´s doing.

Pit
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: